If your boss was a flat out bitch
Career / 10:03 PM - Monday February 22, 2010

If your boss was a flat out bitch

and she seems to be hellbent on making your life miserable, what would you do?
Seriously. I can't take this shit anymore. I've been there forever, never had a problem until she became a boss. If I complain to HR I think she'll just make things worse for me.....

You should start looking for work elsewhere. YOu should say nothing to HR and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to your co-workers or anybody else about your anger and frustration. Just start thinking about moving on.

- Response by valannetine, A Creative, Female, 36-45

Update your resume, Bide your time, jobs are scarce. Ease you hand out of the lion's mouth and then approach the situation once you've foun something else!

- Response by tweets4u2, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Teaching

You first need to talk to her and ask her about it. Tell her how you feel. Say you enjoy working there, but feel she's unhappy with your work or you personally. See what she says.

If that doesn't help, you need to go to HR and tell them. Someone needs to explain it to you. You're entitled to that.

Tell her to back off and behave or you will divorce her! Respect is earned, never conferred and you have lost it for her. THEN go to HR. rek

I've been right where you are. My ex-boss gossiped about me, spread rumors, didn't let me advance as much as my male counterpart(even though I worked there longer) and eventually fired me for 'little things'. I was a star employee constantly giving my best and ,at first, admired my boss for how hard of a worker she was. Your boss is doing these things because she feels threatened by you and does not have any managerial skills. In this position of power, she see's the oppurtunity to make you an example and possibly get you out of the door before someone above you notices your hard work. The best line of defense is to show that it doesn't affect you even if it does. Smile and go about your day, but also talk to someone in the HR department and file a formal complaint. If you get fired, you have a paper trail that would serve well in a hostile work environment suit against your employer.

- Response by hoffman1981, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Seattle, Home Maker

I'm on my fifth boss in 5 years and transferred to different departments 3 times. Finally found a good boss. You may try this route if possible.

- Response by sportsnut7875, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Technical

What I've done when I've had a boss from hell is 'kill them with kindness'.

I ask them how I can help the department and the company. I ask for their advice. I check with them regularly on my projects and goals. I update them daily on my progress. I go above and beyond to make THEM look wonderful. I try to get them promoted (very successful at this) so they go away and I can have a new boss.

A great book if you haven't already read it is "How To Win Friends and Influence People," by Carnegie.