How long can scar tissue from a surgery be painful?
Diet & Health / 3:06 PM - Sunday February 21, 2010

Has anyone had painful scar tissue from a surgery? How long did you last?

- Asked by christinfusion22, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

It depends on your ethnicity, what you use to wash with, the lotion you put on your body, and many other factors. 3 days is the normal body self-healing time.

- Response by int24h, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Alternative Medicine

I had a c-section with my first pregnancy and a couple of my stitches popped out which left me with a small puckered spot of thick scar tissue. It was really sensitive for about two years after the birth of my son. It's odd but it eventually healed and you can barely even see the scar and here I am pregnant again and about to suffer some more. I must be a glutton for punishment or something....lol

Well scar tissue has one thing about it that causes many people pain, it's not very elastic. The areas around the scar tissue pulls against the scar tissue but the scar tissue doesn't give hence the pain. There is another source of pain caused by scar tissue and that is when there is too much scar tissue and for much the same reason fore mentioned.

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

after i got stabbed they did surgery to remove part of the shank so besides the stabbing scars i have surgical scares that still itch and sting in the cold. and its been almost 3 years since thats happened.

- Response by j3s5e, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

I hate to tell you but mine still hurt years later.It will lessen a lot but it will be a good weather indicator for life.Mine hurts only when bad weather comes.Like arthritis.

for a very long time depending. fire victims are pretty much sol for life. i had some scar tissue, it was painful for probably a month or three afterwards.

- Response by dudemcguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Student

That depends upon the exact area of the incision (i.e. the skull, the abdomen, the knee, etc.). It also varies according to the thickness of the skin.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Should ask someone who has gone through all this. I don't have a clue.

I, have had 4 back operations. I, only get pain from the last operation (Scar tissue) Most times it stings..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

I have scar tissue that goes up my right side. It was very painful for years, and my doctor said it could be removed--but it just grows back again. He said once you have it removed you usually have to have it done every ten years or sooner. So I toughed out the pain and now it only bothers me about twice a year. Then a heating pad takes care of it. It is just according to how long you can stand the pain. I took naproxen sodium for it when I had to have some relief.

It shouldn't last too long, but then I guess it depends on the surgery. I had surgery on my finger, the tendon in my left ring finger came detached so I couldn't bend the finger - they had to cut my finger open from the tip of the finger to the base of my palm and re-attach the tendon. The scar hurt for only a few days. But my sister had a cesarean section done when she was pregnant and she said it hurt for about a week or more.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

It would vary from the nature and placement of the scar.
If you have something that get's stretched when you move, and
the nature of the scar is to impede the movement, then this is
not a fun situation. Internal scarring is worse since it can
lead to inflammation at times with little relief.
Some things go away by themselves, others with therapy, others
by future corrective surgery, and sometimes, well never, though
that is rarer. Many types of pain can be managed, but you need
to ensure that there is no addiction/dependence and that any
side effects do not outweigh whatever benefits you get.

- Response by richard233, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

scar tissue can be very uncomfortable at times. abnd sometimes depending on race, it will need to be operated on to make the scar tissue smaller. also, you have scar tissue inside from surgery. usually this doesn't affect you for many years but it can be quite painful and if in the wrong place and neglected it cacn kill. those types are usually in the gi tract. they cause strangulation of the intestines among other things.

- Response by silverbirch3x, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Indianapolis, Retired

never had any pain, may be the pills I was given but when I ran out there was no pain anyways

- Response by fritsberends, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 22-25, Fitness

mine was only painful the first month or so after that it has been numb for a lot of years