What are the chances of a man, age 46, who still lives with his mother, ever changing?
Dating / 6:59 AM - Sunday February 21, 2010

This guy is not a computer junkie, he is actually a smart, hardworking person. His mother is perfectly healthy - she does not need to be cared for. She is very controlling and manipulating though.

- Asked by js0629, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55

It's just a shame that his mother chooses to control him and he chooses to allow it. As parents we're supposed to raise our kids to be independent people .. not be selfish and keep them tied to us.

But .. he's not a child. He's a grown man and should have the guts to tell Mom he wants a life of his own. I hardly feel sorry for him.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

Forget it. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that goes for both of them. He's a mama's boy, she's a control freak. Why would they change?

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

probably never. that's just weird for america. i could see it if he lived in some european country, as that's their ways. but not here.

At this age of 46, if at all, it should be a case of her mom being dependent on him and living with him.

If he is living in her house constantly, and she is so manipulative, there are very little chances of reversal of roles, as both are too much adopted to it, unless her mom becomes physically very weak, or a very strong woman enters his life as his lover etc.

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

She clings to him like glue, and he allows it. I could see it if she was ill and needed cared for, but she is using the control and manipulation to keep him there. She obviously does not care very much about his own happiness. I don't see him changing unless she would be gone. Then he would probably be that clingy with you--which gets old after awhile.

Have you actually met her in person? If not I might be thinking she could be his wife.

- Response by bailarenfuego, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Technical

im srry but if a man is 46 and STILL liven wit his mama he's neva gone change cuz he's gone depend on her all of his lyfe

- Response by hizprincess09, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Student

In a word, none. He obviously likes being looked after.

- Response by hnimsoc, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Edmonton, Retired

Excuse me but "got a minute?"
I lived 100 miles away. My Dad passed on...so I moved in w/ mom to help w/ house. I hoped for short stay however its been a couple years. I dont "always" enjoy being here (it's rough...two personalities crashing "too often"
I choose to move out soon but "time" is tough and presently,.. finances aren't optimal.
Any advise or rooms for cheap?

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

Clinging to Mom still? Hasn't been weaned yet, it appears. Yup....that's what it is. I bet he even still wears diapers.....and does exactly what he's told.

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

No change. Find someone else.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I would think that was his business. However, if he wanted to date me; I wouldn't be interested. I simply cannot be attracted to someone, at that age, still being that attached to his mother. I could see if he wanted to save money and help her out, because she's alone and he simply saw no reason to get his own place. But, if he has a great career and is financially stable, he could get a great one bedroom apartment that wouldn't upset his budget, and still look in on her and help her out.

At least, any man seriously considering dating a woman with something of her own would. I'd think he had some childhood issues to resolve. And, if his Mother is controlling and manipulative when it comes to him, it's because he's allowing it. And, he would allow that same thing to interfere with his relationships. This kind of thing would signal to me that he was kind of weak-minded. Maybe, if he were younger; I'd understand it a little more. But, he's too old for that. Sorry, but that would just remind me too much of Norman Bates in Psycho!

If he hasn't moved in 46 years, there may not be much of a chance that he 'will'...if he hasn't left his mother yet and 'likes' being at home with her, he probably feels that there is no woman 'good enough' to leave his mother for...might be time to move on...:D

If he's living with her for his benefit then he's just a mama's boy that's too old to be playing the part. If you are dating this "man", ask yourself, why are you getting involved with someone that's not willing to grow up?

- Response by A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Medical / Dental

Give someone a good enough reason to change, and you have a potential sex god. Never write someone off, or be prepared to be shocked.

...:)

Maybe he hasn't found anywhere better. But it must play hell with his dating life.

- Response by paulinern, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Toronto, Medical / Dental

Does he have good reason to be living with her, i.e. she has some type of medical problem? Talk to him to find out why he still lives their. He is a major mama's boy and she is not making it any better. She should make him move, well should have did that a long time ago. If you really mean some to him he should care how you feel and be willing to make a change.

- Response by jessjazzi, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

he might die soon, then you could move in with her.

Mommy Dearest.....

Maybe he cares about his mother or is lonely because he's not married. You didn't mention if his dad is still alive. I see nothing wrong with living with parents.

- Response by nataliebringham, A Sportif, Female, 22-25, Oklahoma City

Is he Principal Skinner from the Simpsons?

"Seymoooorrrrrr" lol

- Response by mrstaypuft, A Father Figure, Male, 26-28

Yeah, and what about a traditional "Italian" family, where a responsible, grown man chooses to live with parents, and the dad and son have a business together. This is in America, he loves his folks, vice versa, take care of each other, and they seem very normal.

I'd pop this question, but don't know how ...

So in one post you tell us you want to date someone but not live together or get married, and now in this post you basically have that arrangement since the guy lives with his mother and won't change....so what's the problem?

- Response by lmarks, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

Im not about to judge as to why this 46 yrs old man is living at home with his Mother. There is a reason obvisiously. Maybe he a ONLY child and there is a setup for Mother and Son to share home, He may health issues or recently divorced lost everything or child support committments where he is left with just the shirt on his back for now and cannot afford child support and live else where for now. Many men return home for a short time if possible an a case of have to u will be surprised how many home setups that live together including married couples. Ask him why he is at home with Mum.. I dont think the Mothers behaviour has anything to do with it as u said he is a smart man and hardworking.So he does have a Independant life also.