I wake up and can't move
Diet & Health / 7:32 PM - Friday February 19, 2010

i wake up and can't move

Sometimes i will sleep and then i'll either have a hard time openning my eyes and not being able to move. Or i'll be able to open my eyes but won't be able to move or speak. I try my hardest to open my eyes but i'll just go back to sleep. It just happened today to me i fell asleep in the car and i was Exhausted! i caught myself before i could close my eyes again. I literally jumped up wit ha yelp my friend thought i was crazy. Is this a condition? Its kind of scary it only happens when i'm really tired and i'm a college student so most of the time im tired

- Asked by kissimi, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, New York, Student

First of all, I don't understand why you would post this question on A/O when you have a wonderful bffl who would be happy to listen to your woes.

- Response by gmnikissz, A Creative, Female, 22-25, New York, Student

I forgot the medical term for that, but it is a type of sleep paralyses. For all practical perposes, it is harmless, and a lot of people have it, maybe most. If it becomes a real problem, you should tell your doctor to make sure it isn't some thing more serious. I have it off and on. I can't even lift my arms or get out of bed. I just relax and maybe go back to sleep. I don't force movement and it goes away, 3 to 10 minutes.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

You need to see a physician asap!!! Chances are you are seriously fatigued and while driving a car and etc could be dangerous to you or others BUT there are other disorders that cause that as well. This NEEDS to be determined by a doctor!

- Response by solstess, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Detroit, Artist / Musician / Writer

Sounds to me like plain out exhaustion. Although it could be sleep apnea but what you are describing doesn't sound like it. I have to go with exhaustion. I human beings body will eventually FORCE a person to go to sleep when the exhaustion issue become critical. You are going to have to make time for sleep or before too long your body is going to take the next step to force you to get some rest and that will be by making you ill.

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed