Do you think you should marry for money or for love?
Married Life / 6:45 PM - Thursday February 18, 2010

I watched a tv program that had some good points on both sides, but what do you think is more important in a marriage money or love? I have my opinion, but I wanted to get others.

- Asked by christinfusion22, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I had a friend when I was 19 who married a guy in his 30's and we asked her if she was marrying for love, she goes--Love of money! I think Love is way more important and honesty.

I don't intend on marrying again. Once was fine. I have hopefully instilled in my daughter the importance of financial independence, so I will hope that she marries for love. That is my answer: marry for love. Besides, one should "want" that person, not 'need' them.

- Response by lavender, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, San Francisco

Better to marry for love than money. You can always make enough money to get by. You cannot make enough love to get by.

- Response by seattlerider, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Self-Employed

Love.
How is a marriage supposed to really function if you don't love the other person?
I'm not saying people that marry for love are guaranteed to work out.
But they have a way better shot than people who marry for money.

- Response by npink22, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28

Love for sure..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

You have to sleep with the guy, remember?

How would it appeal to you to have to get in bed with a greasy, fat fart who snores and absolutely turns you off? You have to "be nice" and you have to "make him happy." This leads to "romances" outside of marriage which could put you on the path of doom...like being cut off in a divorce without too much if he has pictures, etc., etc.

So, it's best to find someone you're attracted to but only marry him if he has a trade or education... You can work for awhile and save your salary, put a downpayment on a home, then have a baby.

Of course, you could get lucky, find a young, handsome man who is wealthy, marry him and live happily ever after until you get good and bored....

I would marry for love only.It gets lonely with that money and no love to go with it.

I married for love and never regreted it. (and) I hope to marry again (for love) in the near future as well.

- Response by lom2009, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55

love wins everytime because money can disappear at anytime.and love helps when there isnt money.

- Response by unbreakablesilence, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

Nothing can replace love. I married for love nesrly 43 years ago and do not regret it.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

rich people are never happy.
i'd go with love.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 26-28

When someone really LOVES, money is not even in the equation. If you are the age range your profile says you are, you haven't found it yet. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking this question.
Good luck.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Houston, Consulting

Well, for me I would be inclined to marry for love however in retrospect it would have been nice to face the other options which usually doesn't present itself for men in general.....

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

You should marry for LOVE beyond all..but not just ROMANTIC love, but spiritual love and companionship. There are plenty of people who marry for money or who marry and have plenty of money but they still fight, argue, cheat and divorce just as much if not more than those who have lesser amounts of money.

Women always go on on using the idea that they're parents always argued about money as an excuse to get greedy, selfish and focus on money more than love.

Your parents argued about money, NOT because of the money itself, but because one or both were more focused on money itself and not having enough than each other. Typically this is the woman from my own experience and what I've heard from others.

Another factor is with women thinking they're in charge too often and getting TOO demanding on wanting this and that, him to pay her bills off or some other ridiculous thing involving money or materialistic crap.

My mother would argue that "this was HER HOUSE!!" to my father even though my father made more than triple what my mother made and the house was in his name with her on the mortgage and he paid the vast majority of the bills for the house, food, bills and everything else being as he was a NYC fireman. But my mother still thought it was more hers than his, as TOO many women do thinking that one who takes care of the cleaning or decorating is more important that the one who bought, provided for and maintains the upkeep, bills, mortgage etc...sorry...doesn't work that way at all.

If you are lucky, you will marry a person with money that you love. Actually, marry for love, you can build your wealth together. It makes you grow as a team/partnership.

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65

i would only marry for love. if you don't at some point you will deal with issues of infidelity , no respect, gossip in the community, and if you should decide to have children, you would have a whole different set of negative issues to deal with. now if you are cold hearted enuff that none of that would bother you, yet you have children, then think what kind of life you are teaching them. but then if you are that hard hearted you probably wouldn't care about that either.

- Response by silverbirch3x, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Indianapolis, Retired

Love, definitely. What's the point of being rich, if you have no love?

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?