Have you ever called your boyfriend or girlfriend by the wrong name?
Dating / 7:01 PM - Tuesday February 16, 2010

- Asked by npink22, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28

No - but my s/o has called me her ex's name a couple of times - takes one aback a bit, but I figure after spending 20 yrs with him it's gonna happen one in awhile and let it slide.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

Yes I have. Hence "babe", "sweetie" entered my vocab.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 29-35, Toronto, Who Cares?

I was called the wrong name once. I got over it. Then about ten minutes later when it happened again I had to draw the line. It was all downhill from there.

- Response by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

Never.. Yikes.. that frying pan would hurt! IJS...

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

Yes so now I call em all Darl

Oh yes... That was one fine argument right there.

We both can be quite vocal when we're pissed off. I get extremely sarcastic, he gets very insulting. It works like magic for us though. Once we're done yelling at each other for a few hours. Stamping around the house, throwing things. It works for us.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

yep.. and it happened me to me too.. its not that big a deal.. I had a guy call me by his exwifes name once while we were shopping... he was more worried about it then I was.. its a habit, they were married 15 years.. its not that big a deal if its one time.. (and not in an intimate moment :)

Um yes, but I recovered quick enough to live through it! (chuckle)

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

I've called my next door neighbors Fred Higgleheimer Ethel, and Ethel Fred. They didn't seem to mind at all. They just think I'm suffering from early stages of Alzheimer, that's all....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

heck ya. it's just "one of those things"....and vice-versa too!

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

No,not yet.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

you mean like, during sex?

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

Good to have you back :)

No, can't say I have.

- Response by jophus, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

no.. i think if i ever did that i would've had sever consequences, and the same with him.. we had been together to long for that to happen... we adored each other, the only other names we called each other were pet names. or if a lil arguement.. well you know..lol.. may he rest in peace now..

- Response by mburgos, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

sometimes I will call my husband by one of my sons' names...I'll just go down the list...including the dog's name til I get it right! Seriously!!

"...which one are you? oh yeah.."

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

once or twice but for the most it doesn't mean anything...

so long as you know you have no feelings for whoever's name you called them

- Response by nikkisixxisgod, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 26-28

ya usually when I am half asleep

This is a wonderful reason to call everyone "honey" or "sweetie"! :)

- Response by crazymamaof5boys, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

Once.
I was pretty wasted tho and so was he.. He didnt say anything so he may not have noticed.. haha.. crap

- Response by gbanga, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Hospitality

No but I have my children!!

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

LOL, sure have! I once introduced my wife as Debbie and her name is Donna! Boy, the look she gave me! I apologized profusely and the person I was introducing her to laughed, and then said to her "Nice to meet you Jane!" That took the edge off the situation.
I have also been called the wrong name, and once it was during the heat of sex and I was called the Ex's name.

Nope, but I've been called the wrong name.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Yes, but I called him something weird like my brother..something weird like that, so he has never been offended! Tell me your story!

- Response by christinfusion22, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Yes, and it just so happened to be with the most insecure and needy girl I ever dated. That was a rough week.

- Response by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

Yep, and that was the end of our sex! lol. SEAAANN!!! Ooops!

- Response by Mila1021, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Student

Yep, generally an ex's name when we were disagreeing, generally speaking that does not deescalate a situation.

- Response by afirecracker, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

For some reason I used to call my husband Mike, he is Mark. I have no idea why I did that. I knew a couple of Mike's but they weren't important to me at all.

My ex called me by the name of the woman he was cheating on me at the time... That is when I knew something was happening for sure.

- Response by eiramlos, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Milwaukee, Teaching

I just called my gf the wrong name, but im severely hungover and was at a staff party last night, she was asking me about my night and wether anyone hit on me (she always asks if people hit on me when I have a night out without her), and I said "no (wrong name) no one hit on me last night. the reason i said another girls name is because i was just telling my gf about how this other girl is leaving the company, i am not attracted to this other girl at all and am solely devoted to my gf, i have never been a cheater and never will be and she knows this, I apologized profusely and asked her not to make a big deal out of it and she got angry and upset and hung up on me. My gf is not the type of girl who will easily forgive me for something like this and she has never hung up on me before, i'm worried this could be the end of a two year relationship.

WHAT DO I DO IN THIS SITUATION?

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Melbourne, Student

WHAT DO I DO IN THIS SITUATION?

Well, a similar thing happened to me, actually calling my SO the name on my ex wife of almost 20 years when in fact i was telling my SO that I loved her. That must be the worst thing imaginable for someone to hear, perhaps as bad as really being cheated on, i can well i,agine it feels the same,
Erhaps even worse, at the beginning of a relationship that well devolop and deepen.
I guess, you need to apologize, explanations won' t remove the pain. And yes, if the hurt is enourmous and triggers fears it might happen again, and there is no reaction after plentynof time to reflect on what has happened, then the relationship might indeed be over. But if you love your gf, then you will also avcept such a decision as thatbof a proud woman with character, the one that younfell in love with

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Basel