What does it mean when a guy you have been seeing says you are my special friend?
Dating / 3:17 PM - Tuesday February 16, 2010

A man I have been seeing for a few months gave me a card on valentines that said Hope your day is as special as you are. He told me later I am his special friend. We have started showing affection for each other, but not real serious. I am wondering if he is saying we are just friends. We knew each other from several years ago and have been reaquianted through facebook and personal e-mails. He is a wonderful man and has been so good to me.

- Asked by cmb529, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

He probably means just that ... you're a special friend to him. He's not romantically involved with you YET .. but that's sure a first step.

Being a friend first makes for a more stable and long term relationship a lot of times anyway. I would be flattered that he said that.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

the step before calling you his gf. slow is good in love...

- Response by wandatrick91, An Alternative Girl, Female, Who Cares?

I have lots of female friends. I don't send them VD cards.
This is his way of signaling his intentions to you for greater things to come.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting