Woman over 45 please help! My body is going through so many changes I need advice
Diet & Health / 6:32 AM - Sunday February 14, 2010

My body is constantly bloated. I changed my diet a lot to eat healther foods yet, my stomach is huge!!! I exercise now at least 40 minutes per day, but have not lost weight. On a restricted diet though as advised by nutirtionist. But again, no loss but also no weight gain.

Around that time of the month, I get severe sadness (I never had before) and my entire body aches. I am even more bloated around these days and exhausted. Can anyone recommend vitamins, supplements or anything to help!! I know this is a phase of life but it's really hard!

Go see an Ob-gyn doctor. If you're entering menopause there are birth control pills he can put you on to lessen your symptoms measurably. Good luck!

- Response by watbuttondoipush, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

There are suppliments such a Estroven they may help with some of your symptoms. I suggest talking to your Dr. about other suppliments that may help. Drink plenty of water, get lots of exercise and plenty of rest at night...seems you are doing the right things. Your metabolism is slowing and weight loss will be more difficult than when you were younger. Don't give up.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Go to your physician and ask for a full blood work up specifically thyroid panel and ask her to test you for celiac disease. If the blood work comes back that celiac is a possibility she will refer you to a gastrointestinal physician where they can help you get back to normal.

Drink lots of water and find an over-the-counter water pill to help flush excess out of your body.

Healthier food do produce more gas in the body and bloating so balance them with fruits to help keep the system clean.

It might be the start of menapause.It gets worse before getting better.I don't know that there is much you can do till your harmones reach thier new level.

You need exercise.

You might be in peri-menopause, and your metabolic rate has decreased. The best way to fight and reverse this is through regular exercise. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day - even if it's just walking. You'll see a difference within a month.

GIve up breads,and minimize starches. You will see weight loss, if you lower your carbs and starches.

- Response by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

I like daily detox supplements. I think you should get your stomach checked by an MD. It shouldn't be HUGE... It's normal to have occasional bloating, but not like you describe. Is it your lower abdomen? I'd see a physician, just to be safe.
Good luck.

- Response by paulinern, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Toronto, Medical / Dental

Hello, I'm 34 but I take Magnesium OK every day and it really helps me with the sadness (and breast tenderness) at that time of the month. I also use sesame seeds on my breakfast cereal as these also contain B vitamins. My friend recommended Magnesium OK when she stopped taking Prozac; I'd rather try anything than that.

- Response by northerndacey, Female, 36-45, Leeds

You might have fibroids...they make your stomach seem like you are pregnant sometimes....Dr Oz on his show was talking about this last week or the week before. Go to his website and see if you can find anything on what he said.