Why would a guy avoid eye contact and sometimes act strangely like this?
Sex & Intimacy / 2:52 AM - Thursday February 11, 2010

There's a guy who avoids eye contact with me and sometimes acts odd in other ways... I do have an interest in him.

Its not like he is focusing his attention elsewhere, or that he isn't "maintaining" eye contact (because then I'd figure it was disinterest, dislike, what have you)... he just doesn't MAKE it at all.

Its almost more like the term "lowering the gaze" like Muslim women are to do to be "modest", if anything. (And no, he's not lowering it to somewhere disrespectful!)

One time he did look me in the eye, and I ended up looking away... because I am shy. I don't know if that's his reason or not though. I have tried to make eye contact with him but I'm not really sure who looks away first - me or him.

There have been things which have made me question his attraction (touching the small of my back when assisting me, doing favors, being concerned or a little protective, seeming a bit angry and too focused on what he's doing when I laugh with another guy he knows, quieter when there are more people around especially ones he knows, flashing his eyebrows, etc.)

Sometimes he just behaves strangely though. Normally he doesn't hold much of a conversation.. he seems to have trouble with that. He may say, "oh hey, how are you?" and of course he always knows what I want to eat when I go in to order... One time I was wearing a music shirt that had writing on it and he said, "does your shirt say _______?" since I was slouching over a bit (and its not a music style most people would think I would be into, so he was snickering a bit)... and I said, "mhmm" and nodded and smiled and he basically ran away. He always moves very quickly, but he just left then. I was like, "okay... odd..."

I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not but the one night it was snowing, so nobody was in, except for me because I work next door. When I was approaching I saw him just leaning over the counter, not really doing anything... looking maybe a bit sad. When I came in he was of course polite, as usual, but then he was running around like I normally see him do. I never saw him stand still before. He's always seemingly very busy (but none of the other guys he works with are like him, not even the owner who is laidback)....

So. I don't understand him. What on earth?

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Student

He sounds shy and like he might have self confidence issues. You should try to get him to sit still and have a decent conversation with him. Maybe over coffee? If it were me I'd want to hold him still and make him look at me lol I can't stand talking to someone w/out eye contact.

- Response by tessiewessie22, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Celebrity

It sounds like he might be a bit more complex than a Rubik's Cube would have been to Ray Charles.

If I were you, I would find someone else to be interested in.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55