What is living in Pennsylvania like? Pennsylvania versus Maryland?
Career / 12:22 PM - Wednesday February 03, 2010

I will be finishing nursing school in 1.5 years, and I am considering relocating. We currently live in Maryland. Has anyone lived in both states? Does anyone know cost of living, job market or school information?

I appreciate any feedback.. good, bad or indifferent. Thanks!!!

- Asked by horseradish10, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Probably depends where, I mean Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are surely more expensive but have better job markets than Harrisburg, Carlisle or Mechanicsburg....

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

Maryland can be expensive especially near Baltimore and DC but there's tons to do around there.

The only time I was ever in Pennsylvania was on a trip to Gettysburg. It was a neat small town but nothing to do outside of the town. On the way there we passed real Amish people with horse drawn carriages, no joking. The drive there was a whole lot of farms and not much else. I'm sure Pittsburgh and the other cities are better.

- Response by marka, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45

I have lived in both states for several years, and I really enjoyed my time in both. I think the cost of living is less in Pennsylvania. The job market isn't as great but nurses are always in demand, so you should be able to get more for your money in Pennsylvania. I thought it was great place to raise kids, although not as citified as Maryland, and definitely quieter. But it depends on where in Maryland and where in Pennsylvania- I lived in the Fort Meade area in Maryland and in the suburbs of Harrisburg (Middletown) in Pennsylvania. I also think Maryland is a bit more open minded and diverse than Pennsylvania where there are a lot of people who have never left the area and who are set in their ways, but that's just a generalization, based on my experience. There are all types everywhere, and I don't know much at all about the larger cities in Pennsylvania like Philly or Pittsburgh. I thought the public schools were about equal, although there were more free programs for younger kids (pre school) in Pennsylvania.

- Response by abitspoiled, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I live in Pa we are close to Md and both are a lot alike and fine to live in