Would you be afraid of being alone in your old age if you don't have children?
Family & Parenting / 8:41 AM - Tuesday February 02, 2010

I kind of am.

- Asked by monique1515, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Denver, Student

Not necessarily because sometimes your own children aren't as concerned about you as your friends might be. Having children is a joy and they can be very helpful and comforting in your "old age", but sadly, that's not always the case.

Many people who have children are still alone in their old age.

Yep. Who else is going to take me to my doctors appointments? Come and have coffee with me? Distract me with their problems? Make my weekends hell by taking care of their kids? I mean call me crazy, but I want that. I've seen it happen to so many of my relatives that never had children, everyone else gets involved with their own family and life while their sitting over there in a lonely apartment b/c they got too scared in a lonely creepy old house after their husband died, and occassionally they babysit their great neices/nephews...knowin g full and well they are the absolute last resort b/c their so damn boring and self consumed b/c that's all they've had for the last 20 years, maybe they get a dog or a cat for xmas b/c their sad/lonely pathetic life is so utterly obvious to the rest of world. I know I married someone older than me and he won't be around forever, but I want his genes to have a chance at survival. Okay I admit I want children for selfish reasons, shoot me.

- Response by samanthab, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

well you can always adopt if you want.

what a strange avatar btw. What on earth is it?

- Response by girlpower08, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

I have no children and I'm not all that far away from "old age" and I'm not scared at all. First of all, having children is no guarantee that you'll be taken care of in old age - just visit any nursing home to verify that. Many old people get dumped in those places by their adult kids who then forget their existence.

Secondly, the idea of bearing and raising kids always scared me way more than being alone in my old age ever could. I can't imagine the best years of my life being strangled by such an oppressive burden as trying to raise kids.

No. I've never really believed I'll reach old age - in fact, I never believed I'd live as long as I have done, even though I'm nowhere near old, because so many times the world or my situation in it has threatened to become intolerable and impossible to live in - so every year that I do find the world worth living in is a bonus to be enjoyed, not to waste getting myself tied down by offspring.

- Response by tabbycat1, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, London, Internet / New Media

Not really. I think you're just as likely to be alone even if you DO have them. I mean, they might turn out to be selfish brats or you don't get on or they move to another country when you're older...or anything. I think it's kind of the same as being with a partner doesn't guarantee you're never lonely. Everyone gets lonely at times. You can't rely on other people to make your life OK, not even your kids. At any age, people have to find suitable companionship that they need - friends, acquaintances etc. Get into the habit now. Don't rely on kids (if you end up having them) because putting that kind of pressure on them wouldn't make for a great relationship with them anyway.

- Response by alicekayak, Female, 36-45, Melbourne