Why do you drain the water you soak black beans in?
Diet & Health / 10:18 AM - Saturday January 30, 2010

I'm making black beans from scratch instead of canned b/c I'm on a low preservatives in my food kick. You have to soak them before cooking them, and then it says to drain and rinse them before cooking them. Wouldn't I be rinsing off nutrients? Seems silly to not use the same water I've been soaking them in overnight? What do you think?

- Asked by w0nd3rw0man, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Fashion

If you start off with raw beans, and add back that water you'll have more gas than you wanted, lol.

- Response by justchuck998, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Atlanta

its desirable to drain the water off, because if you cook with it, the water will have a nasty film. if you drain it and add fresh water, they cook cleaner and better.

but hey, if you believe all that about nutrients, then by all means do it. but include in your nutrients pesticides, dirt, metal/plastic from the packaging and other undesirables that you are keeping IN the water by saving it.

I always rinse my beans after soaking them. My dad always did so I do.

I suppose it gets rid of contaminants and "dirt" that were on the beans. Clean is good.

Think of the water coating the beans like a bathtub. After you soak in the tub, removing all the grime, soot etc from your body, would you reuse the water? The nutrients are trapped within the beans and won't be released until cooked

- Response by sexytony617, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Boston, Consulting