Coughing while exercising?
Diet & Health / 3:59 AM - Thursday January 28, 2010

Coughing while exercising?

I'm not very fit, but I'm young and otherweise healthy. I've started exercising, gently, nothing much. I'm a bit concerned that after a minute or 2 of warming up exercises (not out of breath), I get a sensation akin to a need to cough, like there's something deep down that needs to come out. It disappears afterward as the breathing gets more shallow.

Has anyone ever experienced that?

I got this when I broke my collar bone. My Dr. said it was from not being very active. He gave me breathing exercises to do to get air deep into my lungs. He said something about fluid build up, honestly, I don't remember very well, I was only 17 :)

- Response by tessiewessie22, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Celebrity

When I was doing my CQB Training for Fallujah, I felt the same thing. Albeit, I have never been out of shape, per se, and I run 5 miles per day, I felt an odd build-up in my lungs, that felt like blood or some liquid, yet I could not cough it up. Anyways, I found out it was just because my lungs were not expanded enough to handle the training (I was in Nepal).

- Response by josephedward, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Washington, DC, Military

yes but its because i have recently quit smoking and the shit is still in my lungs thankfuly i havent smoked long so i dont feel crazy "many years smoking" effects

- Response by melissabubble14, A Sportif, Female, 22-25, Edmonton, Medical / Dental

you might be out of shape

If gently warming up is causing you to cough, I'd see a doctor about it. It might be nothing, but if you have a respiratory problem, it's better that you find out now rather than later when you feel like pushing yourself harder.

- Response by ryanthegreatarj, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 22-25, Student