Why do older people often critize the younger generation??
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 4:25 PM - Saturday January 23, 2010

Ok i'm 18 and i often see this on the site.... Older people critize younger people or they put " Are you sure you're 18?" Seriously if people ask questions on here it's because they wouldn't anywhere else. So why be critical? You don't know who the person is or what age they are, I mean they could be older trying to look younger. Why are people so mean? if you don't want to answer a question because YOU think it's stupid then don't answer. But wasting your time really makes you look immature.

- Asked by janebear007, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Artist / Musician / Writer

Well not me. I can relate on many levels and maybe some would call me immature about life. But probably the others do it because seeing how different the younger people are than they were at 18 bothers them. Why shouldn't they be different, they were born in a society that has evolved to a point that never existed twenty, thirty or forty years ago. People like what they are familiar with. Of course when they were teens people were supposedly better, more controlled, less lazy. less demanding, less ...well you get the drift. People have their comfort zone. And what they cannot relate to in any way they criticize because it makes them feel superior in some crazy way. Don't pay attention, you have a question and I'll listen and so will may others.

- Response by cinders717, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I agree with you, I do see that on here. And, it's not right. But, it's a 2-way street. I saw someone 18-21 (who will go nameless) on here say that he can't wait until us "old folks" all die off, so the younger generation can run the country correctly. So, it goes both ways.

- Response by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

Hey, life is cruel. You'll catch on eventually.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 46-55

shut up kid and get my glasses so i can read this geritol label....

- Response by kramer, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I think they just close minded.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

usually it's because they lie about their age and are much younger than 18.....it's sad but true.

We "the older people" are concerned about age from a couple of perspectives. Not because we are mean, or judgmental (at least not all of us)...

And it isn't because the question is "stupid" but because it is inappropriate for an "adult" site... A young person posing as an 18 year old may be asking questions that are not in an area where we "older people" feel comfortable participating... A question from a young person concerning a relationship issue that could result in harm or an experience that could result in emotional scarring, is going to be dealt with with humor or discouragement.

The fact that you end your post with the "immature" word fascinates me... In four years, I hardly consider any response I have made to be a waste of my time, and no one on this site would consider me "immature"...

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

It is your right to post a question, however, ridiculous many might think it is. And, these same people have every right to answer it or give their opinion about it. That's sort of the risk you take when asking. Yes, there are times when people can be cruel. But, there is no age range limits on this. There are some things a person should know by the age of 18 and up. Like, "Can I get pregnant from kissing my boyfriend?" And, I think people are just dumbfounded by some post. And, there are post that are from people that are much older in age that people think are just as ridiculous. So, don't think it's just an age thing. I've heard that question asked about people in their 40's. There are many questions that do get bypassed, because people realize they don't want to waste their time with it. But, some just want to give their opinion on it.

According to your own statement about not truly knowing the person or their real age. The people who are responding might be young too, and pretending to be older. Did you think of that? There are many reasons people are on this site, and it isn't always because they couldn't, wouldn't, or haven't posted the question elsewhere. Some ask or post stupid crap on here all of the time to piss people off, to get laughs as jokes, or get a lot of responses. There are many fake posts on here. So, while you might personally ask a question sincerely, many do not. You just have to receive the information you were looking for from those who actually answered your question, without judgment. Don't worry about those who don't. Just try to enjoy whatever benefit you get out of this site. Don't allow other people's personal issues become your problem.

If a young person asks a question, then they should expect a learning answer. If they don't know something that they need to ask on here then they should try and learn by what the older people tell them instead of getting snotty, nasty and mean towards those trying to help. Many of these young people are NOT 18 and this is considered an adult site. If these kids knew all the answers then why are they asking the questions they do an a world wide web???????????

Mean people are everywhere; not just here.

I think different generations are just critical of each other for different reasons. We older people can be critical of you younger ones because we get impatient when you ask about something we see as simple common sense. And you younger people like to laugh at us older people for being so out of touch with things and being "uncool".

So it goes both ways. I must say, though, that there are a few people on this board in your age range who have truly impressed me with their maturity and wisdom. And I always try to make sure I mention it when I see it. :)

One thing I've learned in my life is that some people talk bollocks and some people talk sense. It doesn't matter how old they are. A key life-skill is learning to distinguish between the two, so you can listen to and learn from the latter and tune out the former.

So perhaps younger people ask what seem to be naive questions sometimes. It doesn't bother me. Asking questions - and paying attention to the sensible answers - is how we learn, so that's a good thing.

The difference between older and younger people who talk bollocks is that the older ones are probably never going to change now, but the younger ones, if they're sensible, might.

- Response by spongecake, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

I think it's just because they get upset at the way you think or how our ways of thinking are so different, yes I'm one of the older but I value your opinion but will also voice mine back, your ok just dont let it get to you. When you get older you'll see how you become your parent,,

- Response by flyinghawaiian56, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Transportation

I see it both ways, there are a few who do.... do it repeatedly, but...reliZe the ones who are older than you have some older than them...it's just life sometimes.

I will say though their are a few on here whom I've thought hum, after I read their post I think wow..that was pretty smart.
It really surprises me and I am not afraid to be the first to tell you, I've learned a thing or to, from the younger age group.

For one my son is 19 and we have had deep discussions often and he amazes me with his insight.

I think when you get an older person who, you feel is criticizing you, maybe take a moment to understand where they are coming from more than likely there might be something to be learned. You shouldn't don't take it tooo personal with an added worry and if you feel attacked then... call them on it...that's growing up!!
:)

- Response by pinknblu, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

It may be "constructive criticism", not meanness. Perhaps we older ones don't want younger folks to make the same mistakes we made, sort of a been there done that situation. I mean when you are lost in a strange city, who do you ask for help - someone who has been there a while and knows his/her way around.
From the posts I read in here from people 25 and under, they are asking the same questions and having the same problems as my friends and I did when we were that age. I read some with humor, realizing some things never change.
Conversely, some of the questions in here are blatantly stupid, such as, "is it wrong to have sex with my parakeet?"

Because what the younger generations are doing now, they never use to do back in the days, i guess that's why they criticize, they just don't believe the things that they do or say, sometimes im the same way

- Response by ginger1985, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Teaching

I imagine that some people either like to be mean or they think they have lived long enough to give some sound advice...but to be honest, I always try to give the benefit of the doubt and just answer the question because that's what we're here to do right? Maybe those who choose to be mean don't realize they are being that way or they don't care...either way I wouldn't be that disrespectful to someone I didn't know...:D

B/c a lot of the older generation people on this site are on here quite often... so, they see many of the same posts day in and day out and get annoyed about it.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

they forgot what it is like to be young. People today are exposed to so many more experiences; My neices seem to have it together more than I did, yet at the same time they seem so relaxed about their careers - I don't know which is correct, but I am glad that people today are more mingled than when I was young - you can learn so much more from people that have different backgrounds. I hate when I hear the older (older than me) still refer to people as that "irish guy from down the street or whatever - I do hope that shit dies out fast...

- Response by ruffian, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

Youth and enthusiasm will never defeat old age and treachery. It's natures way.

At age 21 we all, yes all, think we know everything when in actual fact we know S F A.Only when we are much older do we realise this fact.

it will happen to you too! i guarantee it! when i was your age (or the age you claim to be, not knowing your true profile), i had my own ideas about things but i also had, older, wiser people who actually cared about me and my well being and were right about many things. because sites like this were non-existent, we listened to those we knew and trusted to give us adivce. i'm actually surprised that you would ask questions on here that you would not ask anywhere else. it is always wise to get a broad spectrum of information, but i think it is a sorry world when one cannot go to a sibling, a loved one or a parent to guide.

- Response by divadancer2, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Other Profession