My right to wear a nose ring is being challenged
Career / 2:11 PM - Thursday January 21, 2010

I just got a job recently as a second grade teacher at a public school. I have a small nose ring and during the job interview, the principal made it clear that I could not wear it on school grounds as long as I am a teacher there. Basically he was saying if I wanted the job, I would have to agree not to wear it at school and if I did, I would be fired.

So I accepted those conditions since I needed a job. I can understand dress codes and earrings and other jewelry are allowed but this is a public school not a private school. I don't want to make a big deal out of this but if I chose to fight for my right to wear my nose ring, would I have a case?

- Asked by juliamo, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Teaching

No. Employers have the right to establish a professional environment and in this case the school board has established that nose rings do not fit that.

Do you really have a RIGHT to wear a nose ring?

- Response by hubbyochris, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Cleveland, Executive

No.

Contract baby. It's all in the contract. YOU SIGNED the contract. So you AGREED that the dress code was fair.

If you didn't agree then you shouldn't have signed the thing.

You have NO case.

Haha, I dont know! I have a nose ring, and only one job ever made me take it out b/c I had to "appear" professional. My guess is that since you are an example for a group of kids, they don't want your appearance to have any influence on the kids. And we all know how many kids come home begging their parents for some sort of piercing... so that was probably the principals main concern.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

Public school has a dress code too....

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

No, none whatsoever, especially since this was actually discussed and agreed to as a job requirement.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

If 'No Facial Piercings' are part of the published dress code and you were notified of this requirement before accepting the job, no -- you have no legal recourse to wear your nose ring.

Sorry.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

I think it is insane that would even consider making a case of this, do you know how many people are unemployed right now? Just don't wear the nose ring...

- Response by lovingmistahj, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

No, you would have no case, assuming the nose-ring ban is applied to all applicants and current teachers equally. If its applied UN-equally, if some people get to wear nose rings while others dont, THEN you might have a case.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

You have a right to wear a nose ring. They have the right to hire someone else.
I don't remember seeing anything about nose rings in the Bill of Rights.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

I'm not even close to knowing anything about the law but i dought it I'm sure they got there bases covered

- Response by tytbo, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Indianapolis, Who Cares?

To me, a small nose ring should not be that big of a deal to the school. I find nothing offensive about it. But at the same time, is it really THAT important to you? It's not like you're being discriminated against. It's just a piece of jewelry, not an integral part of your being. I'd let it go...wear the ring during your off hours if you want to, but leave it out while you're at work. If you're mature enough to be a teacher, you should be mature enough to handle that.

You agreed to it as a condition of hiring you so I dont think you do.

You have a right to wear what you want, but the employer has a right to employ who they want. You don't have to take the job.

Your rights are not being violated.

you crazy! what girl with any common cents wear a nose ring to an interview let alone want to wear it on front of children! what kind of southerners rose you!?

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

No, it's not "being" challenged, it's already BEEN discussed and decided BEFORE you took the position.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Or, you could simple grow up and live by the terms you already agreed to.

Why make everyones life miserable.... Yours included. You agreed to it as a term of Employment..... Just Go by your word!! You'd be teaching kids something alot more valuable than your right to wear a nose ring....you'd be teaching them about Honoring an agreement. Which will get them farther in life.

You're kidding me right? It doesn't matter if it's a private and/or public school. If this is the school policy and you agreed to the terms of employment then you don't have a leg to stand on. Why would you fight something so childish anyhow?

My daughter's 5th grade teacher has a nose ring. It doesn't inhibit her ability to teach...

- Response by tessiewessie22, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Celebrity

Los Liberales: This lady is a fine example of what we have created. Ayn Rand was dead on.........

- Response by tenspro35, A Career Man, Male, 46-55

You agreed to not wear it when you were hired so you can't breach a deal..There is no reason why you can't remove it for school..It isn't very professional. rosey

Probably not. The interviewer told you right up front about the dress code for teachers. It's the same as not wanting a teacher to wear a super-short miniskirt. Sets a double standard for the students.

Here'S the kicker...

"I just got a job recently"

Honey..with states such as Michigan,Ohio et al having unemployment rates from 14.6% to 10.5% , does this seem the least bit sane or rational to YOU...

Really....???

I don't think you would have a leg to stand on...plus...who would want this kind of trouble to follow them to the next places you would try to interview??? Can't you just see the question.... Soooooooooooooooo...Tel l me why you left the last place you were employed???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? I see.... You wouldn't remove your eh...nose ring....???? Thank you very much Miss Juliamo...we'll keep you in mind...>not<

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Uh, you want it straight out?

No, you have no case.

It's just a freaking nose ring juliamo!

Save your breath for something you have a shot at hon.

- Response by TheSshhmoe, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

Coming from 10+ years in Human Resources, I can say with all confidence that it appears that your "right" to wear a nose ring is conflicting with your "need" to work and earn an income.

"So I accepted these conditions since I needed a job."

When you "accept conditions" in an employment agreement, you agree to be bound by the entire agreement. If you violate any of those conditions, you should expect to have your employment terminated in accordance with the agreement.

So, I would say "wear it at your own risk." It's not about "rights" or what's "appropriate," it's all about what you agreed to do (and not do).

- Response by cd92835, A Career Man, Male, 46-55

No because you were told about this prior to being hired and chose to work there.

- Response by roniroca, A Player, Female, 56-65, Denver, Administrative

You are fighting for a principle,This isnt even the shadow of a principle,Grow up

One wonders what they would say about someone from northern India who wears the traditional nose jewel....

- Response by pandorasfault, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching

If you are so concerned about "my rights" be careful, you may encounter other people demanding "thier" rights. Living in a society means we respect others rights too.
think about this in 20 years time and say "wasnt I a goose"

Oh, get over yourself. It's a DRESS CODE, you can't sue for it. It's not like you have a constitutional right to wear a nose ring. They are not exploiting you by making you take it out. it is not infringing upon your religious freedoms. You can't wear a bikini or mini skirt to each second graders either-do you want to sue for that "right" too?

Schools have dress codes, for teachers and students. If you want to play in the game, play by the rules. If you enter into the game knowing the rules, don't cry about it later.

- Response by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Sorry for the typo, I meant to write that you can't expect to be able to wear anything that may be appropriate elsewhere to TEACH second graders.

Seriously though, do you want to make a career for yourself or make a name for yourself as the girl who sued for a nose ring? They'll fire you the first time you slip up, and they are not going to make any efforts to help you. Plus, why would parents want to send their children to a classroom with a teacher who wants to pick fights with the school? You're acting like a rebellious teenage brat. Grow up and walk into the adult world. I can't wear open toe shoes in my work, and I don't try to sue for my "right to" because I'm thankful to have a job and realize that someone made that rule for a reason.

Just so you know, the shirt your wearing in the picture wouldn't be appropriate classroom attire either. There is nothing more "special" about your nose ring either.

I would be happy you found a job, period. So many people out of work and you found a great job. Concentrate on that and be grateful!

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

no case...Just leave the ring at home.

- Response by takerulz, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Get over yourself. Nose rings are ugly. Do you really think you look good with it stuck in your nose? If you want to wear a nose ring at work get a job at McDonald's. Your a SCHOOL teacher for Christ's sake.

- Response by rutman, A Career Man, Male, 56-65

...with rings on her fingers, and bells on her toes, and a bone in her nose, ho ho...School Teacher? That fits, perfectly!

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

Its their business they can do what they want. If you owned your business you would also have to decide what was appropriate for your employess to wear and not wear. At least they told you before and it wasnt a surprise. Why not just take it out when you park, then put it back in when you go home?

- Response by snowrocker, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

OMG! Seriously???...You need a job and would honestly take this route because you can't wear a nose ring for 8 hours? If you felt that strongly about it you should never have taken the job and remained unemployed. If you agreed to the terms as a condition of hire then you should be a mature and professional enough to stick to them.

How would you feel if you had placed a reasonable condition on a student for a grade or reward... and they agreed to it only to go and challenge you to the principal, their parents or the school district?

Is that really what you want to teach children...that they should renig if it suits them? Nose rings aren't allowed there...deal with it or get another job.

- Response by clip22, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Executive

Contract 101

He made an offer with consideration and condition - I will pay you to do the job and you can'twear the nose ring

You accepted his offer as stated. To try and negotiate the terms of the contract now is infintile, the contract is made.

No, I'm not a lawyer, just a business man

- Response by sammann, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

You're FIRED!

In an economy like this you have to even ask this question. I would never have hired you wearing a nose ring...not because I don't like them but because you clearly didn't care if I did or not by wearing it to the interview. I would question what other poor judgement you might put into place with young children.

You don't seem to be mature enough to understand the basic principle of rules yet you want to teach them...you clearly aren't qualified.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Executive

Your right to wear it is not challeged. You can wear it all you want. Just don't expect to have a job.

- Response by boggob, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

You will just have to decided which is more important to you, the job, or your nose ring. I know what I'd chose....

pick your battles carefully. this seems like a very insignificant issue in the grand scheme of things. it is not a personal rights issue as they did not say you CANNOT AND NEVER wear a nose ring, they just said you are not allowed to wear this particular piece of jewelry while on their time. most companies have a dress code which sould be adheared to while on the clock.

- Response by divadancer2, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

why does everyone insist on increasing the dirtbag quotient? im all for self expression. i dont mind seeing some piercings or tats but the truth is, i dont want to see the person teaching my kids looking like a billboard for a freak show. i want them to see well groomed and well presented professional. teachers should dress appropriately, be well groomed, speak with some proper use of grammar. i dont want some nose ring wearing tattoed skank being the example form my kids....they can learn that shit from television like the rest of us did.....

- Response by painless63, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55

Maybe if the government had appointed jobs to everyone a la Soviet Union instead of people being able to select their means of gainful employment, you may have some kind of point...but if the former were the case, then they wouldn't have a problem telling you what to wear, either. You chose the job, and that job has certain terms and conditions. One of them is to not wear a nose ring. I think career > fashion, but that's just me.

- Response by optimalcontrol, A Creative, Male, 26-28, Washington, DC, Student

No your "right" to wear a nose ring isn't being challenged. Its a dress code and every job as the right to say what is worn in their establisment. You wouldn't have a case because they are not stepping on your civil liberties here. In all honesty you would probably be laughed out of court. Employers of all sorts are allowed to provide a code of dress and can limit the jewlery worn by the employee. I have had many jobs where only certian kinds of jewelery is permited to be worn. Its not a RIGHT its a want. and your old enough so your wants won't hurt you.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

How horrible that you can't just do what you want and have to conform to a few rules - it must be terrible for you. Guess your life is a bitch; though I'm sure there'd be a Haitian somewhere who would trade places with you.
Well, I suppose you can wear a butt-plug and buck the system you little revolutionary.
Seriously: either stop your whining and Get to Work, or become an artist!

- Response by mirage338, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

First of all, there is no argument against doing a great job. I was once teaching summer school...where the dress for teachers is much more casual than usual...shorts, polo shirts for men...even a nice t-shirt. One day, I woke up late, didn't have time to shower, so I wore khaki shorts, sandals, and a bandana. A roving supervisor came to observe me and called me out in the hall and told me the kids wouldn't respect me, blah, blah, blah. I told him, "They respect me as soon as I open my mouth." I was teaching Precalculus Honors. He sat in the back and within ten minutes his jaw was on the floor. He ended up telling me I was a great teacher and he even apologized. We later become friendly with each other. When I later became an assistant principal and started wearing suits, he teased me.

Public education, that is the public sphere...this is the one place where corporate regulations should not apply. If this were a Wall Street job, I would tell you there is a definite look they want to cultivate, and suck it up. But teaching...no way this should be an issue.

I am a public school assistant principal now. My former principal, who is much younger than me, complained about a teacher who had tatoos on her arms and wore dresses that left them exposed. I told him in no uncertain terms that he didn't have to personally like it, but he was way out of line to tell her to "cover them up."

I have two earrings in my left ear. I didn't wear it (I had only one back then) to work for the first ten years of my career, even though no one ever led me to believe it would be a problem. I just felt nervous about it. One day I wore them to work and guess what...nothing happened.

My suggestion...take the job first and lay low. After you have been there a short while and done a bang-up job, talk to the principal and tell him that you thought it over, and you don't agree with this rule. But don't challenge him unless you have investigated the legality of this rule. I would guess it varies state to state. Find out the local law. If you find out you are on solid ground, you could threaten him with a lawsuit, and if you are terminated after you have already been rated as a top performer, he could be sued for damages. He probably also knows that if his rule is groundless, and there is even the slightest appearance that he dismissed you without cause, he would put present his district in a very bad light, and he may not be indemnified against damages if it can be shown that his positions was arbitrary and capricious and is not common practice.

- Response by tomtomcat, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, New York, Teaching

Geez, I am supposed to be on the side of the bad guys...I'm a school administrator, and I can't believe the responses on here. You don't put down your rights when you walk into the school house.

I SERIOUSLY doubt any teacher contract has a dress code provision that forbids nose rings! I am certain that this is nothing more than this principal's personal preference.

The New York City teacher contract merely says that teachers have to dress appropriately and professionally. I have seen female teachers who were, shall we say, well-endowed, and who came to school bearing cleavage. Now, that is really inappropriate!

If someone told me I couldn't have a nose ring, I would probably say, "I'll take out my nose ring when you make a ruling that no teachers can wear any jewelry." Who is to decide that one piece of jewelry (earrings for women, cuff links for men, etc.) is appropriate and another isn't?

This woman probably walked into the interview, this guy saw something he didn't like, and he decided on the spot that he would tell her it was forbidden.

I agree she should pick her battles, but once she has the job, I would venture to guess that this principal's position is GROUNDLESS!

U excepted there terms and conditions in there school. Public or Private School terms have nothing to do with issue.Agree to terms or cop the consequences for your own actions. U were warned. Job with out the n/ring or job and n/ring u are FIRED. U wont win wear your bling ring after work hours ...simple....

When you are a little more mature you will come to realise how inane this issue was, I do believe in fighting for a principle but what is rhe principle here .?

"to fight for my right to wear my nose ring,"

your RIGHT?

My child has a "right" to be taught by a non-scary looking freak.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Would they let you wear a stud? I have seen teachers wear nose studs, small ones and I saw no problem with that. It could be a grey area with the nose ring and whether it is a violation of your rights. You can inquire into what the school districts policy is and if it is district policy or just that principal's policy. Be careful though, you do not want to get branded as a trouble maker. That could end your career before it is started.

- Response by MaryAnne, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Regina, Managerial

I dont think you would have a case. But it hard to say teachers can wear earrings. As long as it was little I dont see why not. But I think all teachers have unions and there suppose to give you free advice without judging you. I ask a union rep there suppose to say nothing of your meeting but they know what going on...

The ONLY nose ring case that COULD win... would be IF the nose ring symbolized some RELIGIOUS person, artifact, ritual, and or so forth.

You take a pretty nice pic and are attractive -- I'm sure you could work out a compromise... IF any one of the conditions listed above were met..

Are you part of a Teachers Union? If so, that is actually the first place you need to go...

Your shop steward.

Good luck.

- Response by skycop, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Consulting

I have had a nose ring since I was 15 or so, and for some jobs I have been asked to take it out - mainly food service jobs where they do not allow it for hygiene reasons - and I always complied with the requests even though I found it silly. I wasn't going to put my nose in the food was I. Now I am a Teacher and I wear my nose ring.
I'd say that you do probably not have a case, even though it is a public school they are free to decide some things for themselves. As you already agreed to not wear it, you break the contract by wearing it, and they do have a legal right to fire you.
If you nose ring is important to you I suggest that you try to find another place to work where they have a less restrictive dress code.

- Response by klaxometro, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

hey mom i want a nose ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

- Response by olivethoughts, A Creative, Female, 29-35

Are you freakin' kidding me? Where I live teaching jobs are few and far between. Hundreds of qualified teachers have been pink slipped due to budget reasons and those of us who just got our certifications are subbing in the hopes of finding a job soon.

You have your own second grade classroom and you're bitching about a nose ring?

Places of employment are within their rights to set a dress code. If you want an ugly body piercing more than you want your job, I'm sure there is a line of qualified teachers willing to take your place, sans nose ring.

- Response by waitinggirl22, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles

I agree completely! Who are they to say that we can't wear jewelry?! It pisses me off!

But no, honestly you wouldn't have a case.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

In all honest, if you had already signed the contract and agreed to not wearing the nose ring(it would state that in the contract), you wouldn't have a case because you already agreed to abide by the dress code and follow their policy on professionalism...we actually had a teacher try to change the policy and she ended up losing her job after her 3-month trial period because of this and with the economy the way it is, it would be a real pain to end up getting fired over it...:D

isnt the degree good enuf? guess the nose ring is a powerful thing*

Nose Right is a very simple tool to use. Your Nose Right will come with easy comprehensive instructions.

more info:http://www.noserig ht.com

- Response by gracenoah689, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Chicago, Medical / Dental

It's a nose ring. Who cares? Wear it proudly when you walk out the school's doors, but respect your boss and leave it out when you're working. On the flip side, adults are adults and children are children. If little Susie wants a nose ring because her teacher has one, that's just fine. Parents should parent and tell their children that they can have nose rings too when they are adults. Encourage little Susie to earn a college degree just like her beautiful, intelligent teacher also.