A Divorce Rate Debate
Married Life / 9:33 AM - Wednesday January 20, 2010

A Divorce Rate Debate

Did you know that the divorce rate is pushing 52%, however the divorce rate among couples in the swinging lifestyle is only 1.5%?

Why do you think that is?

- Asked by thecardz, A Player, Male, 29-35

Not because they swing, but because they've actually talked about the state of their marriage, sex, possibly finances, etc.

swings are standard fare in playgrounds. married life should be a playground for two people who enjoy each other immensely, but who also engage the world around them in creative ways. yep, swings are a good thing in the "sand box" of married life. ;<)

swingers do not have to cheat so they are much happier

I swear Trawna must be another version of my future self or something, lol. But yea, I have to agree with her. It is not about the swinging per se, although most say that it is what keeps their marriage a live and going strong. But I really think it has to do with the true honesty and respect for each other. Where as in most couples people may think they are being honest with each other, they really aren't because more often than not they have to soothe their spouse's feelings and protect them from this and that. And when you are constantly doing that I don't think you are really respecting your spouse's intelligence in handling the truth or deserving the truth about the relationship. Also if things aren't going the way I just mentioned, with some couples there is usually one person or other in the relationship that simply wants everything a certain way and even to have their partner suggest something different, they have a fit and it leads to a close down of communication between them. Cause who really wants to suggest or try anything when they know they will be shot down all the time or catch hell for it?

And although I'm not saying its the fullest and most complete study, but I was reading the latest Cosmo and they were saying the divorce rate was going up so high is because a lot of people got married when they were younger than 25. Which meant that for most they didn't likely continue their education and had a financial means of supporting themselves. Which they said it translated out to mean these people had lower self awareness and independence. I would also venture to guess that most of these couples got married solely based on love and nothing more substantial either. Which allowed their marriage to last maybe a few years at the most til they got older and figured out who they were and what they really wanted, they realize the marriage isn't what they thought it once was. So there by a increased divorce rate and finally a taste of real honesty.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

Because swingers don't really know what love is, and therefore don't really care about their partners at all.

- Response by helayna, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Well it makes sense because 50% of marriages end in adultery by one or both parties, and since swingers don't hide that kind of stuff, there is more honesty and trust involved.

- Response by lmarks, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

Possibly because when a couple swings, they know that it's not an 'affair' and that there is nothing to hide...they are totally open and honest about their wants/needs and know that in order for them to be able to do it, they have to be willing to talk about everything and anything...probably just makes for a more open relationship where they are both in agreement of what happens...:D

something different to eat every nite?

- Response by bhindth8ball, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

I wonder could this be because they have no real commitment to each other anyways, or at least when it comes to the defination of marriage. Heck it's pretty easy to maintain a relationship where you aren't really accountable to each other.

If there is one thing that I have learned about statistics...its that you can pretty much bend them whatever way you wish to prove whatever viewpoint you want to prove.

If you are going to screw whoever you want to screw...what is the point of being married in the first place? Tax purposes? Health insurance? Estate assignments? What?

And what about marriages where one partner is hot and everybody wants to do him/her...and the other who is not so hot? Do they just get to sit in the corner and watch?

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

Because the statistics are skewed.

- Response by ebm3, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

Need to start swinging,I'll talk to the wifey.

- Response by kerr1957, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Political / Government

Cuz they don't know they are married?

- Response by foreal, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

that a lot of people are having a hard time with monogamy and committment.

sad really.

- Response by butterflyz, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Student