Should I be a teacher or nurse??????
Career / 9:21 AM - Tuesday January 05, 2010

Should I be a teacher or nurse??????

Both professions require tremendous time committments and need solid, caring individuas doing the work. Most nurses I have met and most teachers are a very special (even very sensual) caring people. Both jobs will consume much of your time. People will tell you that teachers get the summer off etc. but bear in mind you aren't being paid for vacation time. You are under contract for nine or ten months work. You will need the down time to recharge and retrain. Both occupations require constant skill upgrading. That said, both can be very rewarding careers and although you won't get rich doing either maybe there's more to life than money.

- Response by hnimsoc, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Edmonton, Retired

...those who CAN.........do

...those who CAN'T.........teach

- Response by nameacarl, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

If you have to ask, be a nurse.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I'm not sure the age of these kids but I doubt the parent would appreciate you pulling out the girls and nursing their kids. Make them read a book instead.

- Response by sportsnut7875, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Technical

Teachers make less money, have summers and holidays off.
Nurses make excellent money, but little time off, however the time off , you have more option availible.
Figure out what is more impotant for you.
Consider being a school nurse, the time is the same as a teacher , but paid more and during the off time you can be a traveling nurse and make mory money . Good luck

- Response by foreal, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Nurse...only cuz i had that same decision 2 make when I started school...I wanted 2 b a teacher so i started night classes and my high school english teacher was my college english professor and he was so excited 2 c me!!! So we talked about it after class and he just made a suggestion that nurses would make more money 2 go 2 school for a lesser time than teachers...I am currently an LVN n Texas and made 52,000 last year...less than a year of school!!!! I like that....

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

Nurses make more, but he also get bled on, throw up on, and crapped on more than teachers.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

that all depends on your patience and do u require to be appreciated

- Response by unbreakablesilence, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

Nursing schools are flooded in most states.

Here in PA, we just had a radio commercial advertising for "the need for more teachers".

Personally, I'd rather be a teacher in a heartbeat. But, that's because I really enjoy teaching and helping kids, and I really hate... HATE... medical stuff like shots, drugging, etc.

I think nurses are overworked.

Probably, the worst thing about being a teacher is dealing with the parents who aren't open minded about their own kids.

(as a parent, this is really tough)

My daughter, is, I believe, genuinely gifted academically. This actually puts me in a bad spot with teachers at first to the point where I am learning not to even talk about her "level" but to just let them find out.

My daughter's first grade teacher was lecturing the parents on day one, "I know you all think your kids are gifted... and they're all special in some way, but, only 5% are academically gifted... yadda yadda"

A few months later, at the parent teacher conference, she was saying to me, "I can't promise the test results, but, your daughter is a good candidate for the gifted program."

Just from what I see these teachers go through and the general level of expected unreasonableness from parents... I'd say that dealing with parents is probably the hardest part of being a teacher.

Hope that helped.

- Response by wp2007, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Artist / Musician / Writer

There is currently a glut of educators...and most districts throughout the US are cutting back.

I'd go into nursing.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Retired

you can do both.

The most important thing is to get one or the other.

Nursing is very demanding , physically and emotionally. If

you have a heart for people , and want to contribute to

there well being and safety as a very difficult time in there

lives then nursing.

Teaching has its own demands.

I like both. I have with out and education worked in both

fields as well as many other human serve providing positions.

If you are trying to decide a position based on interest

you could volunteer in both capacities

If you are just looking to make a living

try banking.

I say teacher.. not because I plan on becoming one.. but because you get to have all the holidays off, a long vacation, great benefits, retirement, and the pay increases over the years. It works for me because I want to be able to take off on vacations as much as possible.

- Response by anonymouspersona, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Miami, Student

I just left a coprorate job to get my teaching certification, and it's not a good outlook on the job front. Schools are laying off teachers and increasing class size for the teachers who are left. I know people believe that teachers leave at 3pm and get vacations because that's what the kids do, but truthfully, teachers work extremely long hours. It's not just teaching, it's preparing, grading work, arranging and cleaning the classroom, meeting with grade level teams, administration and parents and other varied duties. I don't know any teachers who go home at 3pm when the kids do.

And the rumor about all this vacation time is pretty much BS also. Teachers have workshops and recurrent education we are required to take, mostly paid for out of our own pockets, so vacation time pretty much amounts to the same amount of time as in other professions, with more restrictions. When I worked in an office, I could take time off whenever I wanted to. As a teacher, I can't take a week off in October, because school is in session then.

That said, if you have a true calling for it, teaching is a rewarding profession once you cut through the work. I spend my days with kids who are hysterically funny and every day is full of moments of pure joy.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles

be what ever u desire to be most

If you're fairly certain that you have the constitution for it -- since there are times when it's quite literally a messy business, and not everyone is suited to it -- go into nursing. If what I understand is correct, it will be easier for you to find a job and you'll also make more money. In the past few years, there have been concerns in the nursing profession about a possible shortage of registered nurses due to the fact that many RNs are older and preparing to retire -- however, it's possible that this has been changing because enrollments in nursing school have also been on the rise in response to this trend.

- Response by giginyc, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

duh, nurse. While it is the more difficult profession it has 100% stable job security, pays better, and people will actually respect you.

Anyone can teach, all anyone ever needs is the text book anyway.

- Response by drallig9399, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 29-35, Dallas, Military

Be a NURSE. I'm married to teacher of 17 years.

There is always a need for nurses, and never enough of them.
But just about anyone can be a teacher. Seriously. And right now, there are NO JOBS for teachers, so by the time you are credentialed, you'll be competing with a LOT more qualified and over-qualified candidates for very few jobs.

A nurse with 17 years experience works less hours than my wife, and makes about $20,000 more per year.

Oh yeah, and you NEVER take your job as a nurse home with you... Can't say that about teaching.

- Response by cd92835, A Career Man, Male, 46-55

What do you want to do? What do you think your purpose is for being here? And, why would you want to be either? That will be more of a determinant, than us telling you when we have no clue who you are, or why you would be good at either one.

NURSE,you'll make more money and get a hell of a lot more respect.

- Response by hotair, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, New Orleans, Transportation

Both positions can be equally stressful. I have a friend who teaches in his city's public school system, and he frequently shares tales with me of how horrible the kids are and how teachers there have even been assaulted by students. It really depends on where you are assigned. Nursing pays very well, much more than teaching, and there is much you can do within this profession. However, your job satisfaction depends greatly on where you work, whether or not there are shifts/weekends/holiday s involved, how many patients you are assigned to, and how much crap you are willing to take. Neither profession is easy. If you like teaching, there is much teaching involved in nursing, as well as social work type duties at times.

if you are asking this question than don't be a teacher. teaching is more like a calling. it is one of the hardest, least paid jobs out there. if it is not what u really wanna do than u will hate ur hours and pay and JOB. the hours are not at all what everyone says they are. they are much more long and tedious. but it is also rewarding, but only if that is what u want to do. you could teach children how to read! how rewarding is that!? teachers NEVER get the respect they deserve and that is one of the struggles i face everyday. but i would say both are rewarding. it doesn't come down to pay or supposed respect but it comes down to what you want to do day to day. what inspires u? medicine or education?

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28

There is a glut of nurses. Many new grad RN's can't find jobs.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 66 or older

Be a TEACHER.. teachers are very much respected by everybody.. and it feels really good to teach children and knowing that they're learning from you is awesome. Anyone can teach but not everyone can become a teacher. Teaching needs dedication, requires a lot of patience and the salary is not as high as other professions. But it's the satisfaction you will feel matters most.. outdoor games, indoor screems of children is very heart whelming specially when, at the end of the day the kids are thanking you for another lessons they learned from you. btw, children beleives more to teacher than to their parents that's why if you wanted to become a teacher, you must be very careful of what you teach and how you act. teachers also are the icons of their students, they love to imitate their teachers really..cheers!

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Teaching