Has anyone safely lost weight on a low-carb diet?
Diet & Health / 1:13 PM - Friday January 01, 2010

I am considering a low carb diet. I know protein makes you feel more full, and I like protein (eggs, meat, etc). Does anyone know how low you can go on carbs? The brain runs only on carbs, so I don't think you can go too low.

Thanks

- Asked by horseradish10, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

A nutritionist told me the safe healthy way to lose weight is to cut out refined carbohydrates, or the ones that have been processed the most (ie. white bread, white pasta, white rice, cookies, cake) as there is basically no nutrition in them. They are empty calories. Replace them with complex carbohydrates (which are unrefined), ie. whole wheat bread, whole grains like quinoa, barley, farro, brown rice, whole wheat pasta (a trick is to mix it half and half with white pasta if you do not like the taste of brown pasta), and to eat plenty of a variety dark or deeply colored veggies. You should be eating more veggies than fruits, as fruit is high in sugar. A glass of tomato juice is going to be less calories than a glass of OJ, for instance, but still pack plenty of nutrition. You need fruit, just don't go crazy overboard on it. You also need protein, so choose low calorie proteins (fish, chicken, lean meats, beans, quinoa). Read labels and avoid any food with high fructose corn syrup (which just makes you crave more bad stuff), or partially hydrogenated oils. In essence you need to get back to eating "whole foods", not processed foods, and shop the perimeters of the grocery store and avoid the interior ones. The outer perimeters of the store is where you'll find the "whole foods" which will help you lose weight.

- Response by majicou, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

I prefer the carb addicts diet as you do not elliminate carbs totally at any point, but even Atkins and the others only eliminate carbs totally during the early part of the diet.
The carb addicts diet was the easiest for me since you get one meal a day that you can still eat any food you like. This prevents cravings.
When you reach ketosis and follow the simple rule of eating the carbs ar the prescribed meal, the pounds melt off. My blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and every other health indicator improved.
There are several counterintuitive things that do take place to explain this. The larger portions of protein you eat on your non-cheat meals, the faster you loose, but you do need to reach ketosis for this to happen.
The trick to the cheat meal is that you have to complete the meal in one hour from start to finish, but you can eat anything, desserts, rink liquor, bread, pastas, potatoes, all the foods that trip up some people on low carb diets. The other two meals you eat NO carbs. Reading labels, you can eat as much as you want of any food that is rated at less than 4g of carbs per serving. Oddly enough, deep frying and other diet no-nos are perfectly acceptable, and as I pointed out my blood tests showed vast improvements in cholesterol, triglycerides, an even blood pressure. No cravings and no portion limits, no hunger pangs, and the weight comes off all while increasing health and energy levels.
Good luck.

- Response by wolverinesegg, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Don't think of carbs as the enemy. They are not. Just limit them to the healthy, whole food versions, rather than the processed stuff like white bread, white rice or regular pasta. Get most of them from veggies and fruits, and add in a small smount of whole grains (2 -3 servings per day of whole grain bread, cereal, pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.) And avoid sweets and sugary beverages too. But you can still have the occassional treat or indulgence. As long as your overall diet is healthy, you're physically active, and you're not consuming too many calories, you can have regular pasta, pancakes, a cookie, etc. once in awhile and still lose weight. Think nutrition, not restriction, and aim for a reduction of about 500 calories each day through a combination of exercising more and eating less. That will help you to safely lose 1 - 2 lbs per week.

You need cut bad carbs, not good ones. Wheat bread and fruits are awesome...no one ever got fat eating those.

It's the garbage carbs. White bread, white pasta, and processed, artificial sugar. They have little to no nutritional value.

Dieting is not difficult. Listening to some crackpot trying to make a buck off of you accomplishes nothing.

Just make every sure every calorie has real nutritional value. Lots of veggies and LEAN sources of protein. Egg Beaters instead of real eggs, turkey breast or chicken breast opposed to beef.

Once your body gets over the cravings for junk, which is similar to how it would come off of heroin, you will WANT to continue eating healthy. It makes you feel like a new person.

- Response by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Good luck.

A good low-carb diet that does not totally eliminate carbs but stresses portion control is the diet from the American Diabetes Association (ADA). I'm not sure if it's on their website or not, but you could always contact a local chapter in your area to see if they will mail you a copy.

I tried it for a few weeks. I lost so much water (instead of weight), was losing my muscle tone, and had horrible leg cramps. It's the "bad" white carbs you need to avoid. A healthy diet with some whole grains a few times a day will help you feel better as you diet.

- Response by italiangypsy, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Other Profession

You can focus on eating complex carbs versus simple carbs (the white stuff) but I wouldn't eliminate carbs that's unhealthy and at best temporary most people gain the wait back...and then some.

- Response by destinyseeker, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Teaching

for breakfast eat steel cut oat mean mized with some protein powdder.

Then for lunch and dinner eat lean meat and steamed vegetables...no carbs....have 2 snacks in between with lean protein and some fresh fruit

you will lose a lot of weight if you follow this and the oatmeal will give you enough good carbs for energy

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

For health reasons, my DH cut out all carbs, and has lost a lot of weight. Be sure and let your doctor know what you decide first. The white refined carbs seem to be the worst.

elizabeth

- Response by elizabethbean07, Female, 56-65, Toronto, Home Maker