Have you ever been betrayed by a close family member? How did you feel and how did you respond?
Family & Parenting, Sex & Intimacy / 4:47 AM - Wednesday December 30, 2009

I have a brother who stayed in my house with me along with his wife and son for 2 months. They ran all my bills up and ate so much food constantly. Things got so bad to the point that I asked them to leave, there was resistance at first for a couple of weeks, but they finally left. I was so thankful and could live in my house in peace again. Before they came to live with me, we had an agreement that they would help me pay bills. All they did was use me as I told them. They were mad and expected to freeload as much as they could and as long as they could.

Well, Christmas was just here and I learned that my brother decided to hit me below the belt and go to my ex-wife and my parents and spread lies about me and how I treated them by putting them out of my house. I actually was happy to hear that I affected him this way. The puncher here is that my ex-wife sided with them of course and my brother shared with her about my personal life and what I was up to. Now they had only been out of my house for about 4 weeks and were obviously still mad about it. My ex-wife also strikes at me and tells them what I've shared about them to her. That was a trip to learn.

How did you handle being betrayed by a close family member? What did you do? Did you forgive them and go on with your life or did you stoop down to their level?.... not that I would do that...

Thanks for your comments!

- Asked by talexwebb, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Military

It's better to let it slide others will find out what they are like in the end.

My problem goes a bit deeper; My brother-In-Law (Wife's brother)
was with us on holidays a bit over 15 years ago, he was walking up from the beach with 2 of my daughters on each side of him, the prick felt them both up. My girls didn't tell us until we were home from the holiday. I got in my car and went to his house to have it out with him (I was going to punch the fuck out of him) any way the house was empty, he told no-one that he was moving it was all done while we were away. We haven't seen him since. All these years later I will still clean his clock. Low down Prick.

Have a great New Year

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

You know, every family has a trash garbage bin in their house, very stinky and you're not alone. I've been betrayed the same way by my own sister and by my niece, the baby girl I used to love/nurse and helped her to get to America. If whoever talked bad about you there is only 2 reasons, first that they got jealous with you and secondly is that you didn't please them. As for me, I forgave my sister since blood does thicker than water but I keep distance from her and only talk once in awhile, she got cancer and that gives me more reason to talk to her more, she won't be here long and I don't want to have any regret feelings when she is gone, as for my niece, I just wipe her out in my heart/mind, she never existed, ever.

I think you should keep distance and don't need to confront them, if they're good they wouldn't hurt you then confront them doesn't do any good, just more drama

Just forget it babe and move on with your life, some time friends care about you more than your family and you should take them as your family instead.

Peace

- Response by azianchemistry, A Player, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Who Cares?

First ask yourself this one qyuestion. SHOULD it matter what a group of free loaders,and an EX feel let alone say about you? c'mon these people are sooo low that you will be actually helping them look better by trying to make them look worst. ever heard the phrase can't hurt might help.(think about it),since misery loves company, unless you want to be miserable I suggest you go on with your life and ignore them all together and they will eventually go away because they will see that their misery can't rub off on you.

- Response by mslifeslessons, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

well it never happened to me but am soo surprised how could a brother do that to his own brother??? i know ur hurt... but try to ignore and live happily in ur life... have news friends...play sports and try not to think about all the negative energy ur brother is giving u...
and the day will come when ur brother will need someone to cry on his shoulder and will definately come and make it up fpr u.. but till then,,, get rid of the negative energy

- Response by nivo4ever, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Executive

YES i have, it's a very long story, but i will say that it involved my younger sister & my older sister's death wish. It hurt like a stab to the heart, still does, but i have learned to forgive, but NOT forget....

- Response by spitfire815, A Hippie Chick, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

I had one of my brothers stay with me for a while until he was able to get back on his feet. I found out through another family member that he talked about me, the way I kept the house, etc. like a dog. I never told him that I knew what he'd said, just kept it to myself, but I'll never trust him again.

Maybe you shouldnt have been saying shit about them to the other ...ya think???