I'm scared to start my new job because of my anxiety...what should I do?
Career / 6:28 PM - Sunday December 27, 2009

I've had bouts of anxiety my whole life, but only briefly was I medicated for it. In a lot of ways I thought the medication did more harm than good.

Recently, with my best friends help, I got a new job. I start tomorrow, but it kinda just hit me that I'm absolutely terrified.

I graduated in college in May. Since then I worked full-time doing temp work, and advertising sales..but both jobs weren't full full days. Sometimes..not frequently..I feel like the anxiety was so debilitating I felt so nauseous that I had to leave work early at those jobs.

This new jobs is a lot more serious. Not only is it a great paying job, but I can't let my friend down by leaving work because "I feel sick." I've been so busy with the holidays...it didn't hit me until tonight. What if I can't control my anxiety at work? What if i faint? What if I don't make it the full 8:30-5?

At my other jobs...around 3 was the worst time for me...I would start to feel so trapped in sick?

I know I'm psyching myself out...but does anyone have suggestions how to cope with my problem? I take Valerian root..which helps at night. I don't want to get into popping benzos, because those made me worse.

Please, I need advice.

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

okay..here is a plan. find a place in your mind or bathroom to "unthink". Take in a deep breath , hold then exhale slowly. Find a quick prayer, could be just a sentence to repeat several times. Have a friend the you can call...without gettng in trouble..have a code phrase that means your friend or family member is to pray for you in code right then. I just don't want you to get in trouble if you have to make calls while you work. And finally, whatever your fith is , put yourself completely in "his" hands..you can do this... Otherwise you would not move up.

- Response by foreal, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Stop thinking about it!!!
Over thinking situations is anxiety's worse nightmare!!!

- Response by wendyshoefitz123, A Player, Female, Who Cares?

first, i would lay low on the coffee, that can bring on an attack. then, maybe after the first few days, see if u can bring in a small desk fan, the air helps me feel better. then, if u do start to panic, see if u can run outside for a bit and catch ur breath. u'll be fine, just quit thinking about it. i know thats the hard part, but maybe u need counseling or medications to better help u deal.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Yes. Choose to take slow, deliberate, VERY DEEP breaths. Very calm and slow in........choose to exhale deeply, like a sigh.

CONSCIOUSLY choose to breath this way whenever you start to feel uptight.

Rapid, constricted, shallow breathing sends a chemical signal to your adrenal system and brain, i.e., FIGHT OR FLIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slow, deep, inhale/exhale sends the OPPOSITE chemical signal to your brain "all is well".

Try it. CHOOSE it. Stop playing at how "powerless" you are, and that you're a victim of fear.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

I also started suffering from anxiety on and off over the past couple years. I started a new job recently and felt the anxiety getting worse and some days I would even have a panic attack. I decided I had to leave as I couldn't handle the stress anymore. I was adivsed by my GP that I needed to make some serious life changes. I think the key is do something you enjoy, something that doesn't create stress or give you fear. It sounds like you have performance anxiety. I would suggest you look at changing the enviorment your in. I would give this job a go but if you feel like its all to much then maybe consider having a sea change. Breathing techniques really do nothing for someone that is about to have a panic attack. To prevent a panic attack is to prevent the fear. I'm no longer working at my office Job and since leaving I am so much happier, I haven't had a panic attack for 6 months. I now have a job which I enjoy and I don't feel nervous at all anymore.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, New South Wales, Who Cares?

Anxiety is natural....Each time I have ever started something new I felt uneasy, and wanted to back out, but you need to remember you would have not got the job if they did not feel you were capable...They are counting on you and you can do it.

- Response by bonniebaby4307, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Baltimore, Who Cares?