Is this bipolar disorder? If not, what is it?
Diet & Health / 4:57 PM - Thursday December 24, 2009

I have feelings for a male friend of mine, who doesn't feel the same, unfortunately. I have accepted it and decided to be his friend, although we fool around regularly. But I notice some things about him and am wondering if he could be bipolar. Here is what I notice: he has a low attention span, gets antsy easily, can't be in one place for too long, is often sad and moody, needs to smoke marijuana every day, says it even helps him sleep, mumbles when he talks, prefers being alone most of the time unless he's having sex with me, then is eager for me to leave, has difficulties expressing himself or staying on topic, and has poor posture....

He doesn't seem to experience racing thoughts or insomnia, and I know those are prime features of bipolar disorder. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

- Asked by kizzy75, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I don't think he is Bi-Polar. I work with many cases of that illness. What it does sound like and only YOU can think about and consider the possibility... it sounds like he might be taking OTHER drugs that he has not told you about. It would be UPPERS in the family of cocaine, meth, etc.

That would be why his behavior does pick up some of the Bi-Polar type traits but not ALL. He would be anxious and unable to focus. He would have no trouble having sex and it would be an experience without much feeling; more like the need for the body to expel and then move on...

The pot bringing him down and putting him to sleep is a very well known practice among drug users. I think you are dealing with a problem here and I believe it is being induced by some artificial substance.

I would just pay extra attention to him, and not necessarily believe all that he DOES tell you. I think there are missing pieces here.

Good luck.

Everyone wants to put a label on everything these days thats not normal, which is basically anything they either don't have the time or desire try and wrap their mind around, 50 years ago, 10 years ago even, people would have just called this a case of 'he's just not that into you.' Your only use to him is sex and thats what he plays you for, its not even friendship here, I'm sorry you've gone as long as you have putting up with this guy. I think, more than that, I know you can find better friends and lovers. I hope that if you take the time to do anything, its to do just that. Good luck. Chin up. Smiles. :)

- Response by mortaune, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Student

HE is not bipolar. I know people who are and I have to ask them if they took their medicine first before I come over sometimes. Bipolar is a someone in dramatic mood swings, high meaning they can do anything and the next few days they want to kill themselves.
He sounds like he is chemically imbalanced. Know many people who smoke marijuana and are focused and when they are not they are dealing with anxiety and stress. SO he not dealing with his own issues like a real man. He is escaping from it with Mary Jane. I would be with someone who doesn't need to be co-dependent to any drugs or alcohol for strength. HE is a very weak person.

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

ADHD. My husband has it. He's got multiple "projects" started and doesn't finish, can't open up (getting better though), smoked pot for years (very rarely now) it makes him feel "normal" when one is hyped up and distracted all the time. Do some research on it, you'll see the symptoms match. Depression usually goes along with it.

- Response by italiangypsy, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Managerial

This does not sound like bipolar disorder to me. It sounds more like attention deficit disorder, with a touch of an avoidant personality. As you are probably award bipolar disorder is characterized with extreme mood swings. In order to be diagnosed as bipolar one must have (among other things) an episode of pretty severe depression. He doesn't sounds like he's had one of those.

- Response by ginsuswims, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Veterinary

Marijuna is the problem. This affects a person's brain and you cannot trust their emotion responses while they are not being themselves. Drugs dull and damage the brain. People may use them because they have a lot of anxiety or bad experiences to deal with or because they just "enjoy" them. But should you even think about being involved with someone cannot live with themselves and depends on chemicals to survive

Bipolar means "mood instability", that is a person's mood changes from day to day or even hour to hour from one extreme to another. It may get extremely high - "hypomania" or extremely low "depression" - You are seeing a drug problem, not a mood problem.

There may be all kinds of problems underlying this guy's drug problem - but how would you know while he wanders around in a haze of marijuna smoke?

- Response by moodmapping, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, London, Medical / Dental

He's just not that into you.

- Response by babygirl06, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Best idea is for you to find another boyfriend. He's cracked, needs help, bi-polar or not bi-polar.

A good question would be why do you want to put up with this?

He's unbalanced and sounds like he could easily go off the deep end without too much of a push. You MIGHT want to suggest he get help for his condition.

He probably has some overlapping things, like depression, ADD, social anxiety.

But why let him take up your time and energy when you could be finding a real boyfriend who is wild about you?

- Response by justchuck998, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Atlanta

Look at your list then the list of Marijuana induced symptoms and you'll see that the problem isn't bipolar. The problem is chemical dependency here.

low attention span
gets antsy easily
can't be in one place for too long
is often sad and moody
needs to smoke marijuana every day
says it even helps him sleep
mumbles when he talks
prefers being alone most of the time unless he's having sex with me then is eager for me to leave
has difficulties expressing himself or staying on topic
and has poor posture....

# Impaired perception
# Diminished short-term memory
# Loss of concentration and coordination
# Impaired judgment
# Increased risk of accidents
# Loss of motivation
# Diminished inhibitions
# Increased heart rate
# Anxiety, panic attacks, and paranoia
# Hallucinations
# Damage to the respiratory, reproductive, and immune systems
# Increased risk of cancer
# Psychological dependency

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

the mumble when talking would really annoy me* lol