Does "Merry Christmas" really offend people?
Race, Religion & Politics / 5:07 PM - Wednesday December 09, 2009

How in the world can this ever be felt as offensive to anyone? It's not like you're telling someone to have a sucky one. I celebrate Christmas, but if someone wanted to wish me a Happy Quanzaa or Channakuh, Cinco de Mayo, Canada Day or what have you, I wouldn't be offended in the least; I would wish it back and walk away happy.

Thanks, everyone! This was very insightful. I hope that everyone has an enjoyable Festivus. =D

Good poin Rollerskateskinny! I gave you a 2 only because I've already given out all the stars that we're allowed to.

Oh, and actually the concept of Santa predates the concept of Jesus' birthday being celebrated in winter, so actually Santa has more to do with Christmas than Christ does; it's just called Christmas...well, I've already explained that. Jesus was actually born in the spring, but sneaky Christians, of which I am one, changed everything. Oh well. "Give me gifts" is the real attitude everyone has, and yes you all have it too; otherwise, we would be giving our children homemade $1-to-make cornhusk dolls and toy wooden horses instead of $300 video game consoles, laptops, cameras, trips, cars and $500 gift certificates to the mall, and they would be taught to be thankful for what they received. If we really truly all thought the reason for the season was thankfulness, we wouldn't feed into the hype, but we all do. :D

It's just plain douchebaggery, that's what it is. I would rather wish everyone a happy Festivus than a boring, generic happy holidays. Well, MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!! ...mumbling under breath: even though i hate it because it's become such a commercialized, costly hassle, and even though it was only invented to replace the pagean worship of the winter solstice and pursuade pageans to start attending Christian church so that The Church could make more money...same reason why worship was changed to sunday from saturday, the true seventh day.... ;D

Yeah, me too. I'm an atheist, but I totally understand & accept that I'm in the minority. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I appreciate the sentiment, and just say "Same to you, thank you!" You have to pick your battles. Life's too short to get all pissy over trivialities.

Happy Solstice!

- Response by joybird, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

we have become a nation of winers

Cause people got to stir more BS then what the world already has. I have Muslim friends who wish me "happy whatever" and i am not Muslim. It just something they share in their happiness and so i take as it is.

- Response by dreampaws, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Denver, Other Profession

I find it just as easy to say Happy Holidays and then there isn't a problem.

That's me too. :)

If I know someone's holiday (that I don't celebrate) I'll wish them a happy. :)

I don't understand the offensive tact that some folks take.

Some are I don't know why they would be. There are so many people who celebrate Christmas that do not even believe in God. For them its just a family holiday.

I dont think it offends anyone. I think businesses, on their own, decided to stop saying "Merry Christmas" and instead say "Season's Greetings" because businesses are in the business of pleasing their customers and they decided that "Season's Greetings" would resonate with more people than "Merry Christmas" would - businesses figured Merry Christmas was aimed only at Christians while Season's Greetings was aimed at Christians as well as non-Christians and businesses want to aim their messages to as many people as possible. It was purely a business decision, not a PC decision.

THEN some people on radio and tv talk shows decided to make an issue out of it. These people aren't stupid and they KNOW how much Americans LOVE to feel victimized, so they began telling everyone "its a war on Christmas!" That gets people all worked up and drives up ratings and there you go: we are now in a situation where a lot of people seem to believe that some mysterious all-powerful anonymous group is forcing Americans to not say Christmas.

No one is forcing anyone to stop saying Merry Christmas, but a lot of people like to feel angry about pretending that they are being prevented from saying so.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

It should be and must be Merry Christmas.

- Response by losungha, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Boston, Technical

Doesn't offend me at all. But, I think the far religious right is FAR more offended by the phrase "Happy Holidays" than anyone else is by someone saying "Merry Christmas." They actual have campaigns against businesses which dare to acknowledge in add campaigns that there are other winter celebrations other than the Christian one.

- Response by rollerskateskinny, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55

I wish people a Merry Christmas, especially Cashiers, as they sadly are not allowed to say that, but some will feel they can, if you first wish them a Merry Christmas. Being politically correct is ridiculous. Then again, Jesus did say the government would be upon his shoulder. I don't think it would be politically incorrect to wish anyone else well on their religious holidays other then Christians and Jewish people. The government is afraid of the truth. Jesus is the truth, which is why the government shys away from it.

Elizabeth

- Response by elizabethbean07, Female, 56-65, Toronto, Home Maker

That isn't the point though. Sure one can say it is not really offensive, but when we live in a place where we know that everyone celebrates Christmas why would you wish them a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings works for everyone and as just as easy to say. I am not going to go up people and say have fun watching History Channel tonight. Are alot of people going to watch History Channel tonight? Sure. Was it offend to say this to them? I don't think so. But it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever when I could of just as easily said, have a good night, which is suitable for everyone.

- Response by aaronit, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 26-28, Science / Engineering

There are bigots that use the holidays to sniff out outsiders so they can be quietly removed from the workplace later or that relish making others uncomfortable and putting them in their (inferior) place. When you are being hunted and know that no one around you would come to your aid (more likely would turn on you) that lends a different feel to christmas.

On years when I don't have run-in's with bigots I don't mind people saying merry christmas. On years I have to deal with that I don't have a tree or acknowledge christmas in any way. It shouldn't be surprising that when christmas becomes a time for me to take my place as an inferior I want nothing to do with it or that when I am treated like a person that belongs I am more wiling to take part.

- Response by bailarenfuego, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Technical

I totally agree. Some people are so f'n stupid. UGH. With that being said....Merry Christmas to all and those who don't like it can suck it lol.

I am offended by the term "Happy Holidays."

I am like you. If you celebrate Kwanzaa and wish me a happy one, right back at ya. I am not offended in the least.

i've never met anyone persoanlly who was offended by being wished a Merry Christmas. i think the only ones who may even think about being offended by a heartfelt good wish during this time of year are those that have been told to think and therefore feel that they are being insulted and slighted by such a greeting. i don't understand it.

- Response by divadancer2, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Happy holidays covers it all and offends no one. May you be blessed and may Elijah drink from your cup everyday.

- Response by singlesandra2, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 36-45, Miami, Food Service

OH LET LIVE!

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Technical

.....I know..isn't it stupid..people should have better things to worry about..like the economy..helping the homeless..walking for breast cancer..etc..

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, St.Louis, Other Profession

Should be Happy Christmas and Merry New Year LOL

No doesnt affend me It how I was brought up and each to there own also .... dont care what others think.. its there way 48 yrs later I think I getting used to it. LOL

The people who are offended by such trivial things hate everything to do with Christianity. We should not ignore those people. They are toxic garbage that should be disposed of properly.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

it doesn't offend anyone except heathens, cause it reminds them of the reason for the season.