What do you make of people who just cut you off?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:05 AM - Saturday November 21, 2009

What do you make of people who just completely cut you off and won't talk to you anymore without an explanation?

- Asked by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I've done that to people, but not without obvious reasons.

For those who have done that to me for no apparent reason, well I assume I must have turned them off to me somehow, possibly offended them, or they just moved on to a point in their life where they no longer need me.

- Response by anothergentleman, A Father Figure, Male, 26-28, Los Angeles, Technical

Cruelty exists in many forms. The ability of us human beings to inflict pain on each, excruciating, heart crushing pain, is beyond my capacity and understanding. I don't get how someone can do this to you that was once in your life. All I know is that it is so darn mean that I cannot imagine hurting someone like that. I'm sorry. It is probably better that they are not in your life, but I know that is no consolation because you try to wrap your mind around why someone can act this cruel, yet you don't quite get there. It is truly an awful experience that causes you to question the very nature of man.

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

they're usually messed up or dealing with their own demons, personality disorders or bipolar.

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

At first I thought this was a question about traffic courtesy but I think those people just don't want to deal with confrontation so it's easier for them to just cut you off than to explain to you why they are cutting you off.

It is a little like banning on here. Some people just ban others with no explanation and others tell people they are banned and why.

- Response by A Player, Male, 18-21, Other Profession

I don't bother with people like that.

The thing is, we all know that no one is a mind reader. Therefore, if anyone really wanted anyone else to know s/he was angry or whatever, s/he would tell the person in question about it. I mean, that's what we would assume a rational person would do.

And rational people are so complicated that if we start worrying about the irrational ones we shall really run amuck. So I just don't bother with it.

In a case like this...I have come to the point where I just say EF'em. this is getting to be a trend, i fear. How can you fix it if you don't know whats wrong? Sorry,that it's apparently happened to you too.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

I think he knows that u know u offend him thats why he does'nt need to xplain..
He is a silent killer..don't bother people like this.
Just keep off fr him and if he calls u just pretend everything is ok.Just don't go too far..

- Response by janemann, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

They obviously have issues and its their loss.

- Response by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

If you know you haven't done anything to this person/people, let him/her/them go. They obviously have a problem.

They were never a friend in the first place.

- Response by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

I have a sister who has done this to other sisters or brothers for many years and it's usually when she's feeling like we're not paying enough attention to her...we used to just let her work out her problems and when she was ready to talk to us, we would pretend like nothing happened...but since it's something that has happened too much lately, we finally sat her down and told her that if she chooses to do this to us again, she needs to apologize and not expect us to pretend nothing happened...it's something she has done for at least 10 years and it's getting 'old'...:D

I stop talking to them. I figure they have their own issues, nothing I can do about that.

- Response by watbuttondoipush, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

If it's someone important to me, I at least try and find out what the root of the problem is, in case it's just a misunderstanding.

Other than that, life is too short to worry about people who don't value the fabulousity of your company.

- Response by mssassychica, A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35, London, Executive

I do the same to them.
I also cut people off but for very clear reasons. When someone mess up with me, I talk to them and I give them chances after the messy behavior, I cut them off. If they try to come back to me, I may accept if it is not a principle thing but I don't trust them any more, if it is something big I just don't look back.

I do this, without reason sometimes. I have relationship issues, trust issues, jealousy issues and I think everyone is out to deceive me or get one over on me. It sucks.

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Miami, Administrative

I am known for "cutting people off" without explanation. It is much easier. I used to think it was the game of the rich and indifferent, "ta ta for now", kind of thing.
But I've learned that when someone acts rude or crazy, they do not deserve an explanation. The times when I have tried to explain a break up reasonably have been disastrous. They retaliate with horrible rumors and nasty behavior. It's not worth it "to caste pearls before swine". Mean people just don't take constructive criticism well at all.

So in short, it's better just to cut someone off and behave mildly friendly when I see them.

However, I try and try when someone cuts me off. I feel that I am a good person and deserve an explanation. Not that I ever approve of the reasons, I just want one and I want it immediately!!!

- Response by nofreksho, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

There can be numerous reasons for this but I think it comes down to one thing: That person is done with you for whatever reason and you may never fully know the reason but you can probably get a good idea if you think about it.

I'll admit that I've done this with a few people in my life.
It wasn't sudden. It didn't happen overnight. It was a long time coming and I DID try to work it out with them but things just never improved significantly for any length of time, so, finally...I cut them loose.

I had one person do that to me. I'm not SURE of the reason because there was no warning but I THINK I know the reason.
Different places, different goals, different lifestyles...TOO DIFFERENT to move on together.

The thing is, I wouldn't let it get to you too much and IT CAN.
Sometimes, people just don't fit together. Better you know so that you can move on to someone who fits just right.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession