What's the trick to being old (44) and happily single?
Dating / 3:09 PM - Friday November 20, 2009

Guess I'm not that old & don't really look it... but I'm feeling that way being single, no family and no wife.

- Asked by sluggo, A Rebel, Male, 46-55

i'm 45 and happy being single. I have embraced my singledom, I guess you could say. I have gotten used to many things, one of which is not being woke up in the middle of the night to some guy snoring his ass off.

- Response by busyb704, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

how can you be happy in a relationship if your not happy with yourself?!

- Response by amberslogic, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I don't think there's a trick. If you're happy with yourself and whatever you've accomplished in life, that's about all there is really. You are 44...If you get married next year, you could very well be Married for 45 years if you croak over at 90..that's a Long time! So you still have a long way to go (esp if you're as healthy as you look--grrwwl). Lol You haven't started the downhill slide just yet so don't look at being "old" based on Society. Being free has it's own rewards.

Anyway, if you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be content with or without someone so work on that first.

If you feel happy but now find yourself wanting a wife and family, then do what the rest of schlumps ultimately had to do--get out here and brave the big wide world of dating to meet someone worth building a relationship! Lol Gotta start somewhere!

Listen sunshine, 40 is the new 30 and it aint OLD!!!!!!! The trick to be happy with it? Be happy within your own skin.

Hey what do you mean OLD at 44 !!! Bastard !!!

Grass is always greener - everything is relative .........

I'm still pissed !!!!

Without trying to sound too psychobabble-ish or spiritually "out there", I really believe that each phase and moment in life has meaning and purpose, and you just have to make the most of it. I'm 47 and have been single for a long time. There are moments when I really miss having someone to share things with, but I've also discovered a lot of things I really love about being single, including the freedom to do what I want when I want. I already raised my children, so that might be one reason why I'm in no hurry to settle down . I have plans to travel, start a business, maybe go back to school, write a book. If I meet someone special along the way, fantastic. If I don't, I plan to still have fun meeting new people, making new friends and pursuing my own interests. And whatever you want out of life, including a wife and family, it's not too late for you at all. Just get out there and live.

Old? HA! You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet, bro.

So....get busy....before you turn 50 and things REALLY start to get critical.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

You alraedy know the secret sluggo, you said, "Happily". Your not morning your singleness...lol..you embrace it. Your fine outside and in! Have A Happy Sexy Single Day!

- Response by spookypeenut, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Ok, 44 is not old. Honestly, stop thinking about it. Find things that you want to do, things you maybe didn't have time for before, and go do them. And not to be a complete downer but enjoy your time cause all we have is the now, really. I've struggled with trying to be happy in the past and had so much death smack me in the face it scared me right into just making the most of what I have right now.

- Response by watbuttondoipush, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

I wouldn't consider you old, you're only 4 years older than me and that is not too far off from me...I was single for 10 years and just got back into the dating scene about 2 years ago and I think the main thing that helped me through singledom was knowing that I was my own person and able to make my own choices without worrying about someone else(well besides my children but doing things on my own) was being open to trying new things, hanging out with friends, going to different places to meet people(ball games, community gatherings, travelling) and enjoying the fact that I didn't have to worry about someone being offended by me talking to a guy or worrying that I was 'flirting' too much...I kept myself busy, kept myself doing things and I made sure that I was happy with what I was doing and not doing them just because I didn't want to spend time alone...in fact, there were more times where I wanted to be alone than to go along with friends and I was okay with it because we all need 'alone' time every now and then...:D

I don't know but you sure as hell do NOT look OLD...at all lol. 44? You look like 33.

:)

I'm sure the right woman will come along. You never know.

- Response by TheSshhmoe, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student