What is the female version of chivalry? Is there such a thing?
Dating / 5:55 PM - Tuesday November 17, 2009

We all know the trademark signs of a gentleman. You know the type. The kind of man that open car doors, plans a date, pull out your seat at dinner, but what is the female version of this? I haven't seen nor heard of any "rules" a lady must abide by when in the presents of a man, so where is the balance?

I believe in balance and hate hypocrisy in ALL it's forms regardless of which gender it may be benefiting at the time.

This one seems to only benefit women as I've yet to see any "rules" for being a lady that haven't been completely overturned in the last 50 years or so, yet so many women EXPECT men to cling to these traditions when these very same women have not.

Don't get me wrong, I really have no problem with being a gentleman, I just think I'd feel better about the whole thing if I knew there was some sort of counter-balance on the woman's end of the deal.

So back to may original question:

- Asked by 1man4commonsense, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

There never really was any female version of chivalry.

But there *were* standards of behavior to which both men and women were expected to adhere. For men, it was chivalry. But for women, it was to obey her father/husband, and have virtually no autonomy, no self-determination, no freedom, and no legal rights.

By the time I read the original post, there were way too many answers already. I think that a lady is the definition of a female version of chivalry. But like some posts to the original post, I have always been a gentleman, but had to take a few steps back starting in the mid seventies and later. I have been told in no uncertain terms by women that they can open their own door and other things. It hasn't made me stop being a gentleman, but it makes me hesitate before I do anything to help. That is sad, because I never did those things because I didn't think the woman was incapable.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

In answer to your question about female chivalry, female chivalry, what ever form it would take is a mute point. Chivalry is a man's venue to impress a lady and is a basic sociological-psychologi cal defense mechanism that has been developed in men over a long period of time because it goes to his profound sense of honor (an innate need) as compared to a woman's. Plus, since women pick men (men do not pick women)his vying for her charms via chivalry makes complete MAMMALIAN sense. Your question implies there is a veritable equality between men & women. This is completely untrue. There is a balance in relationships but that balance is most definitely un-equal.

This goes to the more MAMMALIAN instincts that are the core control mechanism for our behavior between the genders.

Pick up a copy of my book, "THE MAMMALIAN WAY". The balance between the genders is further explained there. Hope this helps. Relauth out.

- Response by relauth, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55