My boyfriend broke up with me. He kept the key to my house. I want him back, is he thinking to stay?
Dating / 12:58 PM - Sunday November 08, 2009

A week ago he had a funeral to attend. I wanted to be there for him. He told me that he would be with his mother and therefore wouldn't have time for me and that I didn't know the person anyway. Well that sounded to me as if he didn't want me there. So I didn't go and I didn't call or text at first. I was feeling terrible about the situation when I saw my ex (the man that I everyone thought I was going to marry) and hadn't seen since he ended our relationship by a text message. Needless to say the emotions from my current situation and then from my past really killed me that day inside and I cried and cried. I didn't call my boyfriend because I didn't want to worry him on a such an important day for him. However he got upset and asked me why I didn't contact him...and I told him what happened and he decided that we couldn't grow as one anymore....I have asked him to keep the key but that was Wednesday. He broke up with me this past Friday...but has yet to call, bring the key or anything...
What is he doing? And should I just be patient....

I have trouble filling in all the gaps here. Like you saw your ex, how? Like bumped into him for a second or spent time together? Who's funeral, someone he was close to, or more someone his mom/family knew and he was going to with his mom to support her? Why did him saying you didn't need to come make you feel unwanted? Why did this make you cry and cry? Why was it such an important day for him? Why was he upset you hadn't called, were you suppose to? Why does this mean you can't grow as one anymore?

I don't know, guess you broke up last week Friday, this Wednesday you told him to keep the key and four days later you wonder why he hasn't brought it back yet. I don't know the details of the break-up, but hey you broke up, why should he be contacting you again since Wednesday? I think he may just be moving on and hanging on to your key 'cause you told him to. It sounds like you created a lot of unnecessary drama around last weekend, your not going to some funeral and seeing your ex, which he got fed up with and said enough to, to me.

If it ends up you don't get the key back and worry about him still having it or a copy. Change the keying on the locks. Depends some on the lock, but with many locks somebody who's just a bit handy can pull them and bring them to somewhere like Home Depot or a lock shop and get them re-keyed for just a few bucks. If you're a renter be sure to let your landlord know and get a copy of the new key.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

He's looking to clean you out. Change the locks. Seriously. I've seen this happen with friends and even my mom. women get too love struck with a man and can't see what is about to happen. He have some of his things still there. One day, you'll come home and find not only some of his things gone, but some of yours. the next month, a few more of his things and a few more of yours. So on and so on. Do yourself a BIG favor, change the locks. If he want's to pick up some of his stuff, have him do it with you and a few of your friends there.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

I would not be patient about getting my house key. I would text him and ask him when you can come by to pick it up.

However, unless you really trust him, I would just change the locks.

The fact that he has not returned the key is not a sign that he wants a future with you. He probably just doesn't want to deal with it, or has forgotten about it.

There is a lot more going on here than what is written and to be honest, it sounds like you and him have broken up and you need to either get your keys back or change the locks because if he hasn't contacted you, then he probably won't...maybe your boyfriend didn't like you crying to your ex and that's why he was so upset because he may have felt like you turned to someone else for comfort instead of him(although he wasn't around)...if you want to end this relationship then call him and ask for your keys back and end it...otherwise you could be waiting for weeks for him to contact you...:D