My paycheck is $600, but it comes out to $513.43 after taxes. Is that right?
Career / 6:27 PM - Thursday October 29, 2009

Does that calculate right?

And can I request a full payment and to pay taxes on my own?

- Asked by rubarob, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Political / Government

sounds like they didn't withhold the right amount of tax. you should have only made about $450, not 513.43

If you want to do that, then just claim a huge number of dependents on your W-2. That will give you the full amount (other than Medicare and Social Security) and the burden of paying the taxes will be on you. It's nice because you get to see how badly you're getting screwed by the government.

- Response by istillhatescreennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

you're not a free-lance consultant, are you? you say that you work for the government. if you are actually employed on a full- or part-time basis for any governmental agency, you are extremely unlikely to be in a situation where you pay your own taxes by 1099 form.

They have to take something out; there is a flat rate that you can't avoid, but go to payroll and ask what the max deduction is for your state. I claimed 'married with 9 dependents' half the year, and 'single-zero dependents' the other half. At tax time, I owed around 80 bucks- it kept the max in my pocket and not in Sam's hands at no interest.

Ain't being a grown up a bitch?

You're lucky you got that much.

How did you complete your W9 for withholding?

You cannot get out of having social security, medicare, and state unemployment withheld. You do not get these back when you file your federal tax returns.

That would be about right. But don't sweat it too much. While they're taking app. 15% out of your paycheck, I'm paying 21% for taxes and medical/dental insurance.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

The others are correct about changing the number of dependents and getting more money on each check. The more you claim the less they take out. But this is done on a W-4 form, not a W-9 form.

They are also correct that you may have a god awful bill at tax time.

The one respondent is incorrect in thinking you have to be paid via 1099 to get all of your money. Once again, it's based on the number of dependents you claim.

Personally, I think you should leave well enough alone and learn to live with it.

Welcome to the Big Wide Wonderful World of Adulthood.

no it is not right as they should be deducting at least 20% for taxes so it should be 480.00 tops

The only problem with setting up so nothing is withheld, is having the discipline to cet the money aside to pay your taxes. If you have that discipline, you will actually make some interest on that money, an still be ablt to pay your taxes. But if you tap into it, you can cause yourself alot of trouble.

- Response by wolverinesegg, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering