Is smoke smell on clothes bad for a baby to be around, even if the person doesn't smoke near baby?
Family & Parenting / 12:37 PM - Monday October 26, 2009

A potential sitter came today, and I could smell right away that she smokes.

She said she won't smoke around the baby, and at least for a while I'll be home with her.

Could just being around the smoke residue on her clothes/skin be bad for our baby?

So far, baby doesn't seem to like her tons and I wonder if it's because of the smell. I'm not really thrilled either, but maybe we'd feel differently after getting to know her better.

I don't know if I should give her a second chance, or just forget about it because of the smoke smell and keep looking.

- Asked by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Naw, a smelly person never killed anyone.

If it were me, I would keep looking.

The smell of smoke or booze would be an instant deal breaker for me in hiring some one to watch my sons.

Good luck! Finding a good one is very hard!

It's not bad for the kid, but if it bothers you then just cut her loose. You don't need to justify to yourself firing (or not hiring) her.

- Response by istillhatescreennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

I would keep on looking. A smoker will take breaks outside and will leave the baby unattended..Forget the addicts find someone more responsible and who cares about their health .. Rosey

Yes it is. It's called third hand smoke. Smoking leaves behind chemicals on surfaces and yes clothing too. Your baby touches it,puts their hands in their mouth and ingests those chemicals. That is why I'll never smoke again.

smoking is far less hazardous to health than breathing car and truck fumes

Second hand or third hand in this case is not harmful. However, since this is a baby I would play it safe and not expose her to this. Some people w/allergies can get sick just smelling certain things like perfume or smoke residue. Im sure if you tell her the reason she will understand as we smokers are used to this.

- Response by mcm002500, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

The whole notion that one can get sick from smoke-smelling clothes, or "third hand smoke" as the health Nazis call it is mindless hysteria. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

- Response by jophus, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45