Do you shake someone's hand when you are introduced to them?
Friendship / 10:54 PM - Sunday October 25, 2009

I normally do but I find that some people are comfortable with it and other people just kinda give you a weird look and are super tentative about it. I know it's sort of an old fashioned gesture (for my generation at least) but it is much less awkward than standing there after the introduction not knowing what else to say. So who here always initiates a hand shake?

- Asked by justwondering9, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

Personally I always put my hand out for someone to shake when first meeting them especially if they are older. It's just super professional and makes you look a tad bit more mature. In terms of meeting a friend of a friend within the same age bracket (18-21) I usually put my hand out. Usually guys shake your hand and girls are more apprehensive ...I don't know why I've just found that. So yes the polite thing to do is always put your hand out for them to shake :)

- Response by littleblue58, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Ottawa, Student

100% i judge initialimpression on the firmness, grip and how the person presents a handshake. when hiring, i like the agressiveness of a person, especially a woman, who will smile and reach forward for a handshake, ,a handshake the is firm, not milktoast.
then, there is the secret handshake

- Response by mtusa007, A Rebel, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

Some people out there make more friends by just kicking the other person in the crotch.

- Response by joeblow1234, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Whitehorse, Artist / Musician / Writer

Any man better damn well know how to shake hands when introduced to another man. I usually offer my hand to a woman as well. I think it shows that I consider her my equal. Between women, I don't know what the convention is, but a handshake, especially in the workplace, wouldn't raise eyebrows.

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

I think I fall into a generation or two older than you - but I always offer a handshake, or in some case reciprocate a hug, when introducedto someone, and in the process look them square in the eyes.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I always shake another man's hand when I first meet him. Women on the other hand, don't do handshakes so a smile and "Nice to meet you" is sufficient.

- Response by A Player, Male, 18-21, Other Profession

I shake hands and sometimes kiss females hands when I meet

either a hand shake, but i tend to more hug a person with kinda a pat on the back.. hard habit to break..and the people i already know is hug and kiss on the cheek.

- Response by mburgos, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

ThE strength of the handshake indicates the character of the person involved

yes I will shake peoples hands..

- Response by bebekitti, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Home Maker