People that give the "Silent Treatment" are either hurt or just mad right?
Married Life / 5:07 PM - Wednesday October 07, 2009

- Asked by warriormars, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

People that give the silent treatment are immature and passive aggressive.

Mature people can express their ideas, thoughts, and feelings in an appropriately polite and respectful manner.

No, they do it to exert passive-aggressive power and control over you.

They do it to get under your skin. Whether they're hurt or mad or whatever, they do it so they can drive you crazy, or get YOU mad or hurt you. And usually silent treatment DOES drive a person insane.

Either way, the whole silent treatment is crap. I hate it.

- Response by augustbaby82, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, New York, Financial / Banking

I think that would cover it.It is better to talk things out.

Yep

- Response by georgiagirl404, A Creative, Female, 22-25

Yeah and immature

They're not mature enough to talk about the situation.

- Response by cubbiegal, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Administrative

Or indifferent

- Response by chal08, A Rebel, Male, 29-35

Maybe worse than that: Mad, Sad, Hurt, Ashamed or Afraid! Anything but Glad! It is that over thinking thing again...he thinks you think...blah, blah. And he or she feels stupid and doesn't want to open his mouth and remove all doubt! rek

It has been my experience people that give the silent treatment are passive aggressive, immature and usually control freaks...lol IJS

- Response by lalalagirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Student

Or deaf.

- Response by 8novels, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

dont waste your time trying to figure them out*

i dont know i do this at times when someone makes very mad because i dont want to end up screaming at them, usually after an hour ive calmed down and then i go talk to them calmly

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student

My s/o does that and it drives me crazy! But they say that men cannot express themselves as well a women and we are superior communicators. But still!

- Response by A Creative, Female, 56-65, Atlanta, Fashion

it could be that the person they are in a tiff with freaks out easily, or yells, and they want to avoid that situation

- Response by jasmine27, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Or both. Men are usually the ones that do this. Speaking as a man, we don't like to fly off the handle. We fear that if we reacted like a natural man, we would try to destroy something. We need that extra time to get our thoughts, emotions, and reactions in line and in control. Sorry about that, ladies.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

They're seeking to gain power and control over you. They want you to beg and grovel to find out what's wrong so that they can have that power for the time being. Such people are deeply insecure and too easily hurt in many cases.

I'm normally hurt when I go silent. But will always talk through the issue after the initial silence!!

- Response by hands, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Hong Kong, Who Cares?

If it silent and disappearing- it could be hurt a lot. Immature, in different are also possible

Yes, in most situations a person is either hurt or just mad when the silent treatment is given. However, I was in a situation where I gave my husband's niece the silent treatment. She is a conceited brat who barely spoke to my husband and I. She once walked out of the room when my husband tried to talk to her one night. I decided to treat her the way she was treating me by not talking to her. If she said "hi" I would say "hi" back. She left back in August to go to a foreign country and didn't have the decency to say goodby. I was neither hurt or mad with her, indifference was the best adjective to describe my feelings toward her.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Or childish...I hate that...it's so immature!

- Response by dolphace, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45

it depends....when I want to annoy someone I'll give them the silent treatment. Overall people want to be acknowledged..if u don't acknowledge a person thats hurtful and it speaks volumes.It means that person doesn't exist to u.

right. I know I shouldnt do this but my husband is hard to talk to especially in a fight so when im mad at him or hurt or whatever I will do that to him.

- Response by bebekitti, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

yes or they just don`t have anything to say. nothing to talk about.

- Response by prettysoul21, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

Its often labeled as immature to give people the silent treatment and for good reason. When people give the silent treatment, they're upset in someway that they having a difficult time expressing. Some would call it immature and too passive.

I have found it, in some direct cases, that its not really just about the mature level of the person. Situations comes in all different levels. Some levels can be handled by anyone while other situations are so severe that even a mature stable adult would have difficultly expressing themselves. In those severe cases, the silent treatment is a way of keeping it together while they weigh the options. Talking from experience, the silent treatment can be childish and it can be a way to reflect and decide on the next course of action. Think of it as a way to repress until the next move is decided.

Make sense? I hope so. :)

- Response by authorgirl, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Student

Actually; they are both...

- Response by fotoman1133406, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Other Profession