What to get my seventeen year old for his birthday tomorrow?
Family & Parenting / 9:40 AM - Sunday September 20, 2009

My baby turns 17 tomorrow and when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said, "nothing mom", but I can't give him nothing.

I did buy him a new cell phone that he picked out but he already has that (got it 2 weeks ago). He's a good kid and appreciates all he does get. I want to do something for him.
He doesn't eat cake. He likes ice cream, maybe I'll buy him an icecream cake....but what to buy him?

- Asked by lasttrueromantic, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Teaching

Cologne never is wrong for any man young or old. gift certificate to his favorite shopping spot also.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Transportation

You might want to ask his friends.They surly will know.You are a good mom who raised a good kid who asks for nothing.

Is he into video games? Is there a video game that he would really like?

- Response by MaryAnne, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Regina, Managerial

How about go with him to the bank and open up a savings account, if he does not have one, and let him learn about earning some money and saving part of it after giving his tithe.

I started a this "Thing" when my daughters were younger and carried it over to grandchildren.

I began with a teaching , that some thing that seems empty may be full of some things you never expected ..thought to carry in life as with people situations and what ever.

I gave them and at times will give them and empty box. In it is
a gift of there choosing. They just have to decided what the will be. The fun part is then the two of you go and get what ever there choice is together.

recently I gave this to my granddaughter two years ago. She decided she wanted a dvd. She was 3 , do I found some sarkly shoes and we both dressed up and went out shopping.

The empty box is for my daughters and grandchildren a well anticipated gift. It may take them three or four weeks to decide but they do and then we have fun in the gathering of the gift.

My now often choose music or some adventure.
This year I will be taking my grandchildren to whale watch. It is all fun!

Maybe a jersey, warm-up suit, or hat of his favorite sports team.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

all teens like $$$.

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Transportation

What a great mom! And a wonderful son! Gift card to his fave store or dinner at his fave restaurant or fave meal that mom cooks!

Gift certificate or just plain money, cologne is nice, the ice cream cake he'll like

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

Lap dance?

- Response by 1racerx, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

First of all, happy birthday to your son!

I think you've had a number of good suggestions from the respondents here. I liked the idea about opening a savings account; the idea about a gift certificate; and asking some of his friends.

Another idea might be to take some money (say $100 if you can swing that much) and have him choose how to invest that money in the stock market. There are some good buys out there now, and he could get four shares of a stock that is selling at $20 per share, for example, on an online trading exchange like Ameritrade. You can set up your own account if you don't already have one. Then buy his choice for him in your own name; when he is older, you can transfer the stock to his name. I did this for my youngest son when he turned 18, and he appreciated having "investments" ever since. He's become very responsible fiscally.

You don't actually have to set it up by tomorrow, though. You can just tell him that's what his present is, and he should start doing his homework on what stocks to consider. He can chart the stocks' progress for however long (a month, two months) to see which ones are performing the way he wants his to perform, etc. Then you can finish up with the account when you have the money put together. That way you don't have a huge expense for yourself and for him all at the same time.

If now isn't a good time for this, then you might want to keep it in mind for a future birthday and go with something else.

I know this is a far cry from an ice cream cake. But it's an idea nonetheless. :-)

- Response by media4u2, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, Pittsburgh, Teaching

Maybe a nice camera.

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

Give him a gift certificate to his favorite store, and let him pick out what he wants.

Get him one of them new ipods...

- Response by mmmmbeer, A Rebel, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Who Cares?

how about some of his fav clothes or ipod music! the ones in my life like clothes music and those wii games!

- Response by maniacalme, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Executive

Theres tons of thing to get 17 year olds :)

-digital camera(with a memory card)
-clothes
-cd's
-an itunes gift card
-new computer
-game system
-flatscreens
-a car :)
-an ipod

Getting the Ice cream cake could be nice seeing as he likes ice cream, but I would add to his little "party" and add a gift! If all else fails, give him some money, or a visa gift card, so he can get whatever he likes :D

- Response by brittanyultra, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Student

Go down and open a Roth IRA with him. Contribute a bit to his future, and offer to match his contributions up to a certain amount for the next few years.

- Response by agentsmith01, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, San Francisco, Student

Does he have a Wii? I'd want a Wii lol. Ice-cream cakes good. :)

- Response by TheSshhmoe, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

well i just 18 a few months ago..... (and ive been on A/O for more than a year >.>)

but try:
- xbox 360?
- laptop?
- ipod?
- books? (if he likes reading)
- movies?
- and if your really out of ideas, a gift card to a local mall.

P.s. if u really want to please him, DO NOT buy him clothes. we might smile and say thanks; but the last thing teens like us wanna see is clothes bought from our parents(who still might have a 70's fashion sense). we can do our own clothes shopping since we know whats popular.

- Response by ilovextc, A Rebel, Male, 22-25, Toronto, Student

Would he like Guitar Hero?? Or maybe the real guitar? Video games. A new stereo system. Just an idea.