Do you ever look back at your life and realize 95% of the things you've done were really stupid?
Sex & Intimacy / 1:01 AM - Sunday September 20, 2009

I can't help but think all the things I've done to date were the product of a horrible decision process. Is that normal? Does everyone have days where they wake up, think about where they are and how they got there, and think "I'm a fucking retard"? There are those 5% of good decisions which allow me to travel, have money, and live in nice places, the the other 95% of my life is just a compounding series of bad ideas stacked into a meaningless pile of crap.

- Asked by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

Dude... Everybody feels like they are a fucking retard at your age... I built a company and sold it for a million bucks and still felt like an idiot because I wasn't married, and didn't finish law school, and was gaining weight and had my car stolen and broke a finger nail... Welcome to being young and human... Now cut yourself some slack and do what you are supposed to be doing... ENJOY THE RIDE, there will be plenty of time later to wonder about your regrets... And if you do it really well, bunches fewer regrets than you think...

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

99.99% for me. What can be more stupid than spending hours on this site reading about penis sizes, bad tasting breasts, man shoving his penis into anothe man's rectum in the name of love?? But here I am...

- Response by int24h, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Alternative Medicine

Normal? Only for people aware enough to think about their decisions and ramifications and take ownership for their part in the outcomes. More people think of that 95% as time and occasions they were the victim of xyz (life, "the man", luck, whatthefuckever). Granted, sometimes life does just drop a big sack of shit in your lap, but much, much more often our bags of crap come from our own making. Figuring this out is a huge step in maturity-- not growing up or old, but actual maturity. Congrats hoss!! Your insight is to be commended, you've just figured another piece of the puzzle of life out. Next step: not continuing to make those choices that don't enhance your life...moving more of that 95% towards the 5% that you really value and that is benefiticial to your happiness and quality of life you desire. Not easy (we've all been there), but does get easier with practice. You should be proud of you- keep up the good work and good luck!

- Response by imjoeygirl, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Columbus, Who Cares?

hell know....not when I was you arge...I thought it was all brilliant

it wasn't until I was about 33 that I discovered what an idiot I used to be.....

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Only 95% ?! Damn, that's good.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

Yeah I'm pushing 98% myself.

- Response by nashswag, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

When I was young I knew everything and I still do. I think once I hit 40 I'll start realizing that I may have made one or two mistakes here and there.

- Response by rickstevens, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

Yes, everyone else was indoctrinated into society with fallacious logic and flawed views of the mechanics of human relationships. I'm not being even remotely sarcastic or "cute," we all grew up with families that were less than ideal.

If, in spite of your mistakes, you've managed to end up with financial security, you're doing pretty well.

I'm not unsympathetic, I'm really not. Money doesn't buy happiness. You do, however, have the means to LOOK for happiness.

You've made mistakes, but those mistakes haven't landed you in jail, in poverty, or with a life-threatening disease. Stop beating yourself up for your mistakes. You still have readily-available OPTIONS, which is more than a lot of people end up with. Speak with a therapist, read a book, explore your spirituality--address whatever problem is troubling you. Or, you can wait until you have a devastatingly immanent problem, and try to put your life together then. Either way, its up to you--fix it, or don't.

If you just feel like you can't do it, welcome to the 'Life Gave Me More Than I Could Handle' Club. We have jackets and a private golf course. (That part WAS sarcastic and mean. I won't apologize, but I do hope that you never get to that point yourself. Best of luck, sincerely.)

- Response by scott0001, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

I've done some fucktard ass decisions and am paying or have already paid for them.

- Response by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Who Cares?

95%. Hmmm. Yeah. That's pretty accurate. Hey, you live and learn. When you know better, you DO better. Luckily, I'm doing a bit better.
All the best.

- Response by mimimachell, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed