Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Can you get a life insurance policy on your spouse without his consent? My husband doesn't take care
Diet & Health / 5:38 PM - Saturday September 19, 2009

Can you get a life insurance policy on your spouse without his consent? My husband doesn't take care

of himself and if he ends up dying, it would make it hard for our son and I to survive financially without help from my family or putting him into daycare full time.

I hope he becomes more responsible about his health and/or that he never gets hurt, but need to ensure my son's future and my ability to care for him if God forbid something bad happens.

My family would support us, but I don't want to have to depend on that.

My husband has a mental block against life insurance and says he won't get it, nor will he stop taking risks.

He really doesn't take care of his health, and no amount of bugging will change that. It just gets him mad, and he's not going to stop the things that are really dangerous. I've given up.

Can I get a policy to insure myself if he passes away, even without his consent? Do you think it would work internationally?

Update: September 19, 2009.
Guys, I'm not getting it to kill my husband! I hope I never have to use it. I want to get it because I'm worried about his health and he's being irresponsible and not getting medical care. I just read an article that it costs $250,000 to raise a baby from birth to 18, then university costs on top of that. I wish my husband would take care of his health, but if he won't then I also have to be sure our baby has what he needs.

Update: September 19, 2009.
Thanks guys. He has a health issue that he's not taking care of. He has a treatable cancer, curable in 99.9% of cases, but also a sign of a different type-but he refuses to get checked. He's taking the head in the sand approach. I hope it works out and he really is fine, but am seriously scared that he could die if he doesn't go to a doctor soon. Talking about it unfortunately causes arguments, I've been bugging him to go for 2 years and he refuses. I hope he' ll be fine and it's not another cancer, but need to look at the reality of our baby needing financial support if he's not, not to mention how horrible it would be to lose a father. I don't know what to do here.

- Asked by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Read more about the Rating System

I believe it varies by state.

Through my last job, I purchased spousal life insurance for my ex-husband, and he was not notified. (I told him, of course).

Once you hit a certain dollar amount, they require a physical. The policy I got for him for $50,000, so I think you'd be safe up to that amount. You could get separate policies in the amount of $50,000.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Managerial

Rating Received:

Milla, with everything you've told us about your husband...I'm sorry, but he sounds like the biggest, most immature, selfish asshole who ever walked. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. I don't know how - or why - you put up with him.

I don't think you can take out life insurance on a person without their consent. It's a way to ensure that people don't insure someone without their knowledge, and then murder them for the money.

- Response by justpassingthru, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

NO..... not legally. I am a licensed insurance agent... It doesn't vary by State law. You cannot... and be careful because if it gets signed without his knowledge, the Insurance Company is ONLY legally required to return the premiums you have paid. Also, of he has a medical condition and you do not disclose it, the same applies... sorry.
I agree, he needs to grow up, and do what HE needs to do for his family.

- Response by nicolegillenwater, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Rating Received:

In reading this question, I find your situation to be extremely odd. First of all, I doubt that your husband suddenly became irresponsible all of a sudden. Which means you knew about it and then married him and had a son with an irresponsible guy. And while I understand that you have tried to change him, it's odd to me that your next move is to see if you can take out insurance on him without his knowledge or consent so that when he dies, you'll have money. Seriously, that's just a bizarre response.

- Response by istillhatescreennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

Rating Received:

I don't think it's possible.
If anything were to happen to him you would be the prime suspect.
If you're worried about him passing away then start saving more money.
Get a policy on yourself, so should something happen to you, your son is taken care of.

- Response by npink22, A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35

Rating Received:

If you have an insurable interest in anything, you can insure it in most states. Insurance is mostly state ruled. But, if anything suddenly happens to your insurable interest, don't be surprised at the investigation that takes place.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

Rating Received:

As you may have intuitively realized, there are different answers to your question based on location, conditions, lawful contracts and relationships between the owner, the payer and the beneficiary of a policy.

Because it can get tricky under the conditions you bring up, you especially need an insurance representative with whom you can consult.

- Response by rekkonball, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Rating Received:

you have the insurance company.
when i got life insurance on my ex and I, she had to know.
depends on the insurance company
he has to be insured for you to get the money.

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Rating Received:

I think you would need to forge his signature

- Response by bigcurt, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Pittsburgh, Self-Employed

Rating Received:

It's so difficult when a spouse won't take care of themselves. It's irresponsible. Is there a family member who could help you discuss with him why he needs ins.? I understand why you need the security and don't want to be left with a medical bill that you can't pay.
You don't need his consent to get an insurance policy. And I'm not positive about medical ins., but I think you can get him on your policy too, without a written consent.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

Rating Received:

You should be able to get life insurance on him without his consent but not sure about the international idea. Would have to consult an international lawyer in whatever country you are thinking of. I hope he gets treatment soon. My mother's best friend died needlessly of colon cancer because she would not go to the doctor. She died at 42 and left behind her husband to raise four children alone all because she couldn't stand to hear she had cancer--and hers would have been very treatable. He needs to think of you and your baby. Wishing you luck.

- Response by dreamdancer, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Houston, Other Profession

Rating Received:

I bought a car in my husbands name told them I had to take the papers home for hubby to sign I signed his name and returned it to the dealer, Also we took life insurance out on his mother and signed her name , we knew we would need to pay for her funeral she was sixty five at the time, If I wanted to get insurance on my husband I could order on line it fill the papers out and send it back

- Response by dingbat019, Female, 66 or older, Chicago, Retired

Rating Received: