Have you ever slammed your finger in a car door? What happens to the nail after a while?
Sex & Intimacy / 11:58 PM - Wednesday September 16, 2009

I smashed my thumb in my car door (don't ask how) and it became all purple and I had them burn a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure, which helped A LOT! Well it's been about 6 weeks now and it is still all brown underneath, but it seems like the nail is detaching at the base... so will the nail fall completely off or will it just grow out? Does the new nail come out just fine? It just looks really weird and its been a slow process I just want it to look normal again!!

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Administrative

I did it once when I was about 13... and the door locked when it slammed on my finger. It was bad.

It was discolored for a couple of months (we didn't burn a whole in it, though.)

Eventually it will fade, and the new nail will grow out fine.
If the nail does fall off (entirely possible) just keep it covered. It will be fine.

- Response by diamondsnrust00, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

It will turn loose where it is purple and gradually come off.

- Response by trhjr1, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

You should see your doctor and he will explain everything.

- Response by jkssr69, A Creative, Male, 66 or older, Retired

It will turn out fine. I have lost count of the times I've lost a nail. A new grows and you won't be able to tell the difference.. Best of luck have a great night..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

first it turns purple then black then it falls off and eventually a new one grows in

I have seen people with nails that are distorted and mis-shaped and been told by them, that they did what you did. That injury, while seemingly mild, is very traumatic to your nail bed. I don't think anyone can guarantee what will ultimately happen with that nail. It will fall off, but what after that is questionable.

I had this happen to me years ago - the nail took a while to grow out, but it's just fine, like nothing ever happened to it.