Orange menstrual blood...
Diet & Health / 3:54 PM - Friday September 11, 2009

Orange menstrual blood...

I got my period today and to my surprise, the blood was bright orange rather than it's usual dark red color. This has never happened to me before in my life so I'm a little freaked out. I just lost my health insurance so I can't go to the doctor about it, but I've had a lot of blood work done this past year [not for any specific problem] and no doctor has reported anything unusual to me. I've read this could be a sign of anemia but I eat a lot of protein so it doesn't really make sense to me, I eat really well actually. My period just started so I'm hoping it will just go away and change color but does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

If it helps, I'm on birth control pills, I recently had a UTI which I took antibiotics for, and I just had a yeast infection which I just finished treatment for. Do you think all these medications could have anything to do with it? Also, my period isn't unusual in any way. Came at the right time, not in extreme pain or anything...everything else is totally normal.

Thanks!

Update: September 11, 2009.
Hey everyone, Thanks for your responses. I've had a UTI before and this has never happened. I went out and bought some B12 vitamins just in case it's an iron deficiency. I called my doctor who's done blood work for me before and said I was never tested for anemia but to not worry about it since I have no other symptoms of it. He said basically to chill, that it's probably not a big deal...which seems a little irresponsible but whatever. I checked and the blood has gotten a little darker so maybe it was just a fluke thing? Who knows. The body is a mysterious thing.

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, New York, Artist / Musician / Writer

Don't flip out; it's probably the antibiotics. Second, when you first start the period your blood is normally a dark brown color--ya know old blood. The orange color could just be a mix of the old and new blood--oddly mixed to create the color. Right now, just get rid of the UTI and if your next period has orange blood then go see the doc. Until you get the antibiotics out, you won't know if it's them or a different problem. Besides sometimes you have a weird flow one month, it's just a natural body fluke thing.

May be the antibiotics.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

What? Did you drink an entire pitcher of Orange Oxy clean? lol

Okay, I kid I kid.

you need to get your butt to your gyno hun.

fanny.

- Response by fanny500, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

llafsroh POP'd cuz we can't be concerned for your period color while there are still our U.S. troops, deployed over in Iraq.

It's probably the antibiotics, but you could call the doctor that prescribed them and ask. It won't cost you anything.

- Response by catscratch, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Executive

sorry, but i hav nooo clue. the best thing to do, is to try and save some money to go to the doc. but if ya cant, go to www.webmd.com and type in your symptoms, it might give you some reasons. BEST OF WISHES!!!

- Response by ikswoklaw, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Other Profession

If there is a Planned Parenthood near you, go there. They may help if you have no insurance.

- Response by rockerchic, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?