What does "hang out" mean to guys?
Dating / 12:03 PM - Tuesday September 08, 2009

What does "hang out" mean to guys?

This guy recently asked me to hang out, and the first thing I thought was "he just wants to have sex with me" I'm wondering is this true, when a guy asks a woman to "hang out" is he really just sugar coating the fact that he is lazy and not willing to date or put in some work for her sex?
I mean its clear as day that he want t o have sex with me, but when he says "hang out" does he mean date or just.."hang out...And have sex"?
I'm asking because I'm the kind of girl who refuses to be some booty call, I'm a virgin and I refuse to have sex with anyone outside of a relationship.
I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, or if I want to get myself into anything with this guy.What does "hang out" mean to guys?
I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, or if I want to get myself into anything with this guy.

Hi, I can't speak for all guys, I can only speak for myself. When I ask the opposite sex to "hang out", it means to be seen together, publicly. Doing something together in public, and it could mean, running into, or being with others we, you or I know. (Let the gossip begin). Which brings to the second portion of my definition: "Hanging out" means just having fun, (publicly) doing something that I like doing, that I think you would be interested in. Also, showing interest in, and doing whatever it is, that you like doing. In short, doing what it is that makes me, feel like me, being myself and showing you, "me". In hopes that you would do the same. My asking a girl to "hang out" has nothing to do with sex. For me, it's about showing interest in just spending time with you, and trying to get you, to know a little more about me, and trying to be friends. And if we already are friends, then closer friends. But remember, I don't speak for all guys. Ask him if this is what he means.

- Response by levidog247, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

Yup sugar coating!

The real definition of 'hang out' is to spend time doing things together. Lately, this includes having sex at some point. I'm a literal person, so if I said this to you, it would mean what 'hang out' is supposed to mean. If I wanted more, I'd tell you. That's the problem these days with dating......if you even want to call it dating. Too many mixed signals and mixed messages.

- Response by wudaddy, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Dallas, Law Enforcement

Any guy is going to want to so that isn't even a question. I would expect a guy to take me out, not just go over his place and hang out, that to me says that he is hoping for some loving. Not my cup of tea.

- Response by lilacblue, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

To visit. Spend time together. No dictionary at your house either?

it is a first few dates, and the guy can choose to get to know u more or to back off, so they make a term "hang out" until they can decide to keep seeing you or not.

you can keep it causal as a movie date or catch up for a drink. it is up to you as long as you keep yourself safe, such as in a public place, and it would limit your risk on your own safety.

good luck

- Response by tracybut, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Managerial

Meet him, but not at his place! If he only wants to sleep with you'll get the message early on. Good luck and be safe. :)

- Response by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

Hanging out

This is hard to answer. Why? Where did you meet him? Church? At a club? That answer will likely give you more of a clear idea as to what he might be thinking.

If you met him in conventional ways (at work, church, through a friend, etc). And he knows ANYTHING about you at all...

Then he MAY already knows these things about you. Typically, its easier to ask someone on a "Hang out" invitation rather than a "date."

May be he's shy? But for the most part hanging out is nothing more than a casual date to see if you could even be friends or gf - bf material.

Hope that helps.

- Response by skycop, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Consulting