What does it imply when a guy gives you his phone number first?
Dating / 2:13 PM - Friday September 04, 2009

Three men have given me their phone numbers first, expecting me to call them first,but I never did- I find it a major turn-off! Were they just looking for a hookup ?

Update: September 08, 2009.
Thanks to all who responded to my question. Some agreed and some disagreed but that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions!In hindsight, I problably should have worded the question differently b/c a few people were confused but I did clarify things.Thanks again! Robincircle21

- Asked by robincircle21, An Alternative Girl, Female, 56-65, Los Angeles, Student

I'll never understand how you women make such ridiculous leaps of.. "logic".

It implies they wanted you to call them, if you were interested.

It implies they might have wanted you to be more comfortable with their number, rather than giving your private ph# out to men you don't know.

It implies you think too damn much, if you've convinced yourself that each of them was just looking for a booty call.

It implies.. there's probably a good reason why you're single.

A lot of my friends do'nt want to give a stranger thier # so the guy gives them thiers.

they were giving you the power to call them or not. If you were possibly interested in them the only thing you achieved by not calling them is never finding out if there could be something there.

I don't know why they didn't just ask for your number. But it does not mean they were only looking for a hook-up.

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

cant speak for them, not knowing them. I began long time ago offering my phone number and not asking for hers, I think women have to be more careful who they hand theirs out to, lots wierdos out there and unfortunatly most are males. I dont ask for hers, give her mine and if she calls it was mutual and if not, nothing lost. I just wont ask for hers but if she offers I will take it.

- Response by mtusa007, A Rebel, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

Aside from some level of interest on his part, it can either mean he's cognizant of your safety and comfort. Some girls feel safer having his # and him not having some way to stalk you if he's a freak. Others may do this because they're not secure enough to be on the hook for calling you. They haven't been rejected if they don't have to call you and you're not interested-- if you don't call maybe you lost his number, or got busy, or any of the 43 things people tell themselves when person x doesn't call, but at least it's not seen as being rejected. It could also mean he's lazy and wants the girl to do the chasing, for lack of a better term. Maybe he didn't have a pen/paper or his phone with him.

- Response by imjoeygirl, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Columbus, Who Cares?

I would have to ask you why its such a turn off?
Its one thing if you didn't find them attractive or other wise appealing but just out of some outdated sense of "a woman doesn't call" thing will keep you single....

Even in LA, you can only know their intentions of you actually have information to evaluate.......

They're interested and want you to know it.

Unfortunately, women find it a turn-off when a guy comes on strong too quickly.

Someone should have told those three that

- Response by mantis, A Creative, Male, 18-21

I don't know what they're looking for, but probably that's the reason. Chances are if they had any real interest in you as a person and a possible girlfriend, they would have asked for YOUR phone number.

You were WISE in not calling them.

Would you of given them yours? I doubt it, that is why they gav you theirs. If you call them, great. If you don't, they are not losing face in front of you. Their being rejected but not directly, you not calling is indirectly.

- Response by loseing, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

What does it IMPLY?????? That's women's communication. The men probably gave you their phone numbers because they liked first impressions. They were saying, "I would like for you to call me." What would it IMPLY if you gave them your number???.....that you would like for them to call you. YOU IMPLIED back to these men, "I don't like you."

- Response by proclaimed, A Creative, Male, 46-55

Men don't "imply" things. If a man gives you his number, he wants you to call. Men know that most women are reluctant (and rightly so) to share information like that with a guy the don't know. If he doesn't give you his number, how are you supposed to ever have contact? How are you supposed to know he likes you?

Would it have been better if he had said "I'm really interested in you, but I'm not goinng to give you my number?"

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

They wanted you to call and schedule an appointment for sex. Why is it a turn-off for you to be invited for sex?

- Response by int24h, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Alternative Medicine

it means that times are changing. Sometimes a guy see's what he likes for all the right reasons and decides not to waste time. Thats one possibility. How you react is up to you.

- Response by wats2775, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Transportation

Every situation should be judged on ( or by ) its own merits. Since I don't know the individuals in question, I would take as a simple gesture of giving You their phone numbers. It could be that they were simply trying to take the first step. As for the " hooking up ", aspect, what were Your intentions that led to the phone numbers being given to You? I personally don't believe in simply " hooking up ". This type of relationship would be nothing more than a "sporting event". Hope this helps. Sorry about the extremely late response timeline. Good luck in Your life.

- Response by chefrandyman, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Other Profession

of course they were