Ever date someone with a fake arm? There's this hot chick at work and I finally asked her out
Dating / 1:07 AM - Monday August 31, 2009

Friday night, but then she went to fix her hair at the dinner table and her arm f'ing fell off! She had to reach down with her other arm and pick it up off the floor. I was just shocked, staring like a car wreck you can't look away from. I kinda lost my appetite and freaked a little, but she just looked up at me and smiled, then reattached the thing and went, "oopsie". Then she was like, "So how's your pasta? Mine's incredible. I love Italian...." blah, blah, blah. I just couldn't get past the arm and couldn't bring myself to call her again. Would you ever date someone with a fake arm? It's f'in weird.

LMFAO... that gives a new meaning to "sticker shock"... LMFAO

ok... i think you would be wrong to be shallow and not get to know her but on the same hand (no punn intended here) she probably should have told you before the first date so you would have not been so shocked...or maybe she could have duct taped for date security...

- Response by donnapark62, A Player, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I understand how you feel and I really don't know how I would react in the same situation...Honestly, I'd probaby feel like you.

But you know what? I grew up knowing this very pretty girl who has a fake arm and we kind of got used to her, in town. Nobody pays attention to the fact that she has a fake arm!

She used come out and play volleyball with us...It never stopped her from doing the things she wanted to do...

Her father has a butcher shop and when she was 3, nobody noticed, she put her little arm in a mincer...

- Response by marycherry, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Fitness

I find you amusing. Wouldn't the better question be, did you ever date a girl with calf implants? Sorta the same thing... but yours is worse.

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45

I would have compassion and amazed by a person who survives losing a limb. If I connected with them deeply enough in other areas I wouldn't let that freak me out.

I don't really believe this happened to you though.

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Yes I would date someone with a prosthesis. I cannot even imagine how embarassed the poor girl must have felt. With the attitude that you have concerning it, better you not call her back. She needs a much more mature and understanding person to be standing beside her.

What a very brave woman!

i have never dated anyone with anything fake but my sx husband has married a woman cause she has 1 arm and in a wheelchair...

- Response by mehodog4, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Boston, Home Maker

Fake limbs are clean!!!
If theyre good enough for Sie paul Mccartney to marry that heather chic who had a fake leg...really

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

a friend of mine married a gal like that 20 years ago and she's too cool . get over it and look at her.

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I do believe you. I think you are lying... how could you not notice she had a fake arm before you asked her out??

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Boston, Who Cares?

That would really be up to you.If you don't feel good about it inside yourself,you proablly should.But I'll bet she is a very nice person.And it has always been said that when you lose some of your senses it only enhanses other ones.But when I was growing up and even now it is not good manners to be fixing your hair at the dinner table.That is one thing I would never do.So I am wondering if that really happened?

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

It may be unique but not weird. There are people that have fake arms, legs, knees, hips you just don't usually see them. If she has a great personality and is easy on the eyes, why not? She could be a wonderful person if you give her a chance but if you're going by her fake arm, that is so superficial.

If she's a cool chick then you should get to know her and just forget about the arm. I admit it's quite a shock for someone's fake arm to fall off and surprise you like that. But she must be cool to react the way she did. She obviously was not embarrassed and took it in stride. I think she's probably an awesome person if you get to know her.

I never dated any guy with a fake arm but I have dated ones that didn't have an arm and only had a stub where their arm used to be and it can be 'awkward' at first, but if you look past that and get to know the rest of the person, you may find that it doesn't bother you as much as you think it would...believe me, I sure didn't notice their stubs after getting to know them better...:D

Yes, I would. I met a girl with just a stub for an arm, never wears a prothesis, and she is the most awesome person!! Of course, with an attitude like yours, you need never call this girl again, as she deserves someone who is a lot more accepting and a lot more awesome of a person!

- Response by 2shy4most, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

I'll be honest that stuff freaks me right the hell out. I saw this old lady the other day in front of me at the grocery store. Her arm was fake and looked almost like it was real but dead if you know what I mean. It was full of skuff marks and markings. It made me so ill I almost passed out on my boyfriend. You can't help what disturbs you, no matter how politically incorrect as it may be. Some things bother you and some thing don't. It's a personal taste. Kinda like big moles on the face.

- Response by kthall, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Halifax, Hospitality

I haven't, but I would. I don't think it is all that weird and once you get to know her better I don't think it would bother you. I can understand the initial shock, but you'll get used to it I think. I mean if she is beautiful and nice and smart then what difference does a fake arm do? There are women out there with fake breasts and few guys seem to haev an issue with THAT.

The cool part is that she doesn't seem to be self-sconscious about it. She seemed very confident after the "oopsie" and most people would have been mortified. That says something about how cool she must be. You should give ti a shot. Nobody is perfect. maybe you have something that you are self-conscious about?

It shouldn't just fall off...that's a sign of improper fit. I've actually been wearing a prosthetic arm since age 16 (lost my arm to cancer) and I feel like it's a non-issue to about 99% of people, including guys I've dated. I'm now married. I see why this would weird someone out; obviously not a typical dating experience, but for some reason my suspicion is your decision to not call her isn't totally about the fact that she wears an artificial limb. That's the surface issue, but I think if you were really into her you'd call her regardless of the incident. Maybe you feel like she should have been more forthcoming; you didn't like being caught off guard? I don't know. Did you guys discuss this at all throughout the remainder of the date or just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen? I think if you're feeling weird about it, trust your gut, it's not meant to be. Hopefully she felt the same and everybody can just chalk it up to a learning experience of some sort.

- Response by jessicamarie84, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Therapist

If she were a war veteren and lost her arm in the service, I would have no problem whatsoever. After all, doesn't she deserve some acknowlegement of service to her country?

- Response by gilpill, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Internet / New Media

My husband went on a date with a one armed lady once. He even married her :)

- Response by johannafivecount, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Detroit