My dog attacked a possum..
Pets / 3:25 AM - Saturday August 29, 2009

My dog attacked a possum..

and it died... Two years old or so, black lab... never done anything like this before.. does this mean she will kill my cats/bunny?? Should i be worried???

- Asked by pureamericnmetal, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Los Angeles, Student

She might go for the bunny, but probably not the cat. They know the difference between wild animals and those that live with you. Possum are mean critters. She could have been protecting you!!!!

Chances are that the possum was killed because it was invading his private space - his yard. That is territorial and very common. The bunny and the cat, live there. So, they are not intruders.

I think your dog, was just acting like a dog. It is upsetting to see it happen, but it does. Our dog does it with cats that come in his back yard. There are cats in the house and he has lived with them his entire life. But, the cats coming in his yard, are invading his private space.

I would not be worried. If he showed aggression toward the inside animals then I would begin getting discipline advice. But, not over this.

Your dog is female right? You said "she". It may have been a one time thing or she may be displaying her natural instincts as a dog to go after prey. I have a female dog who is nearly 12 now. She has always known the other animals in the house and has been around cats since we got her at 12 weeks old. One day, our 6 month old cat jumped from the window sill onto the floor and the dog jumped off the bed and attacked it, leaving it brain injured. This came with no warning. I still have the dog, and I still have the cat who is now 8 years old. There has never been another incident involving this dog or cat.

I'm not sure if the dog being female is relevant or not but you need to be cautious, especially with the bunny. The cat can run fast and has claws to defend itself but the bunny is defenseless.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed