What would be a good "punishment" for a good 16 year old girl who...
Family & Parenting / 12:29 PM - Saturday August 22, 2009

missed 11 o clock curfew by 1 hour with the car doing nothing bad?

I think my uncle is being a bit to harsh with HIS punishment. I feel sorry for the girl.

What would you guys do?

- Asked by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I'd probably cancel one of her "for fun" plans. She knew when her curfew was, and a 16 year old out at midnight is something a good parent worries about. Laws don't bend when you become an adult. You know which kids are the least happiest, and the most problems? The ones who get whatever they want. Kids that are taught responsibility are happier and healthier.

- Response by twocents47, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Her new curfew is 10:00 for 30 days. If she meets that it goes back to 11:00.

Loss of car for a week

- Response by almostcoolmom4, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, New York, Other Profession

One week punishment with no extracuricular activities. Two weeks with no car. This is ONLY if she called to let him know she would be late. If she didn't call, then I would double each punishment.

grounded 1-2 week. no going out.

Harsh to you is most likely BC you are so much closer to her age than being her parent. A few minutes or something unavoidable is one thing. Just "Oops I forgot" doesn't fly. For my boys, missing curfew is a manditory grounding for at least a week with restricted car privaledges. Depending on how far past curfew and the "excuse" it could be much more.

I dont think its that big of a deal. So she stayed out a tad later that usual. Big deal. Besides its only eleven, thats actually kinda early (especially for a 16 year old).

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

If she had called to let me know she'd be late,there wouldn't be a punishment. If there's no phone call she'd be grounded for a week.

No car for 2 weeks and curfew is 9pm for 30 days. There are consequences for not following the rules.

I'm late to work by 1 hour with the car doing nothing bad. Do you think I won't have some kind of consequence to pay for that? And you can't say it's not the same. Yes it is as it is a "rule" to be followed and if it is not, there are consequences. And with a 16 year old, you don't trust teenagers to know to do the right thing. If she had a flat tired and called her father and that commotion caused her to be home late, that is different. Being out gallivanting at 16 with a car until midnight is a recipe for trouble. This will teach her NOT to do it again. And/or that she needs to CALL her father that she will be late and get his blessing on wanting to stay out an hour later.

He's the PARENT and he's doing the right thing, although you feel it is harsh. When you're older, wiser and more mature and have children, you'll be doing the same thing. And BRAVO to him for maintaining his PARENTAL role and not trying to be her "best friend" as many parents do rather than being a parent. Once she's an adult, he can be her "friend", but until then he's doing the right thing a being a parent who's teaching her responsibility, obligation and life has rules one needs to abide by.