How do you pass an online job application?
Career / 9:11 PM - Thursday August 20, 2009

I've been applying to a lot of retail/cashier/clerk/fo od service type jobs lately, and I've noticed a lot of the stores/ restaurants I've been applying to tend to have online applications and pre-employment survey type things to determine your eligibility as an employee.

On these surveys they ask you things like: Do you think it's alright to take money from the register? Do you think people are generally honest or dishonest? On a scale of 1-5 how outgoing would you say you are? How often is it okay to be late for work? Etc. stuff like that that seems fairly obvious how to answer correctly.

I know this sounds bad...but I've failed pretty much every one I've taken. I always get an email back saying I'm not eligible based on my survey answers. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it's just me? I try to give honest answers, but I'm not sure what exactly they are looking for.

I'm actually a really outgoing and friendly worker who gets along very well with others. All of my previous employers were very satisfied with my job performance have said they would recommend me if I put them on my references, but a lot of my applications haven't even been considered or reviewed because I didn't pass the pre-employment survey.
I'm not a drug addict and I've never been convicted of a crime, so I don't think there is any obvious reason to disqualify me automatically from a position.
I don't have a college degree...but I mean it's retail... not rocket science... if I can't get a job in that field, what other places would possibly hire me?

Anyone have any tips on how to answer these survey things?

- Asked by gintawithdimples, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

There are always a few "trick" questions in there that if answered "honestly" it will disqualify you. They want honest, but you have to decide "how honest". Try reading the questions slower and paying attention to the word usage. You will find that most of the questions are repeated in some way but if your not paying attention then you will answer it so that it sounds like your a thief or don't get along. It's called a partial personality test that is based on tricking you into telling the truth and if your not good at word comprehension then you will fail it every time. I suggest smaller retail stores that still require a resume' or still use paper applications. It's only the really "big" retail stores that use computers for their hiring. You can beat them, but you have to pay attention and answer the question with "what they want to hear". Good luck and hope you do better next time. :)

- Response by txsewbunny101, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Student

I just went through one of those too. I did get hired though. I *think* it is the same 4 or 5 questions worded in different ways. I also *think* that as well as giving the 'correct' answer (you would report a coworker for using drugs) you also have to answer the 4-5 questions the same way consistently.

- Response by makinit40, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed