Want to know what a woman will look like after marriage? Look at her mother.
Diet & Health / 9:09 PM - Wednesday August 12, 2009

When I was single I'd always heard that if you want a good indicator of whether your wife will keep herself up or let herself go after marriage, look at her mother.

At one time I believed this to be mostly true and there were normal weight women I refused to date because of their overweight mothers.

But my wife is different. I met her and fell in love with her before I met her mother, so I was really disappointed when I met her mom and she was very obese, like 400 lbs.

I've been married for 11 yrs now, my wife has had 3 babies and is still very fit and in shape at 5'8 and 118 lbs (and no, she's not too skinny, she just has a very small frame. Her BMI is low but her doctor says she's perfectly healthy). And her mother is still every bit of 400 lbs, maybe more than that, has a host of health problems and rarely leaves the house.

So obviously my mother-in-law wasn't a good indicator of how well my wife would maintain herself.

I know what the stats say about overweight parents being more likely to have overweight children. My father-in-law is also obese, but not to the same degree as his wife. My wife has two brothers and neither of them are the slightest bit overweight either. But the old saying seems to only be applied to women anyway.

I know statistics would support that mothers would be a good indicator of how the woman will look later, but in my observations that's not actually true as much as I would have thought. I'm finding out now that most of the women from my single days that I'd labeled future fatties based on their mothers are still not overweight. I have a cousin who is a nurse in a bariatric clinic, and he's said before that it's amazing how many of these severely obese women at the clinic have daughters who are normal weight and smoking hot. So what do you suppose is happening here? Do these daughters just make a greater effort knowing what the statistics are and seeing what morbid obesity has done to their parents? Or could those statistics be a bunch of bull? What have you found based on your experience or observation?

Update: August 12, 2009.
Ok, I just wanted to clarify on the comment made about my cousin at the bariatric clinic. Most of the patients at that clinic are in the 50-65 range and their daughters aren't that "young", they're adult women 25+ who are helping their mothers, many of whom are considered to be disabled because of the degree of their obesity. Nothing unhealthy about noticing attractive women.

- Asked by Male, Who Cares?

Hi Anonymous,

Two words for you: Free will. Beyond statistics, genetics, sex and race, these two words have the ability to shape a big chunk of a person's legacy. As long as you can breathe, think and act independantly, anything is possible, from minute to minute. You can actively choose if you want to be happy, healthy, proactive, financially stable...alive.

Yes: Life can turn on a time, for reasons ranging from the horrific, to the comical. Yes: Some critical, life changing, choices are not our own. But some are. There is the possibility to assert some personal agency in this life. Whether we make the most of what little choice we have, is up to us. And it is my feeling that it's that little bit that makes all the difference.

Rougemarie.

- Response by rougemarie, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

I think it's true, actually. That doesn't mean that it's inevitable. Clearly a woman could become fatter than her mother, or stay skinnier. It's just an indicator of what will probably happen if all things are equal.

- Response by istillhatescreennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

Yeah, I've always kind of loved and hated that statement... as my Mom and I can share certain items of clothing - there's just a height difference. I don't think it's really fair for others, though.

I think the recent trend in health / cooking / fitness paired with the internet makes having a healthier lifestyle a lot easier and more accessible.

Maybe that's it?

- Response by snafu, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Toronto, Financial / Banking

When I was a young feller,thats a while ago,Our elders were wise too,An old chap said to me, before you marry her take a shoofty at her mother because that is what you,ve got in 40 yrs time,,How true.

Its true in facial appearance more than anything.

Your weight is all about how much you eat.
Or as doctors say, it's medially impossible to be overweight and not eat.

- Response by guy506, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Houston, Other Profession

I've also noticed some very attractive mothers, fit and slim with obese daughters.

I have known homely moms with beautiful daughters. And als both mom and beautiful daughters. So, one can never tell by looking at mom.

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

i think your cousin might be paying an unhealthy amount of attention to the young daughters on those patients.

- Response by sosensitive, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35