Can you fall in love with someone you never met before. Like meeting someone on the internet.
Dating / 9:33 PM - Monday August 10, 2009

Sure. Happens all the time.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Yes. Then you can give them 10 years of your life before the @&%! leaves you for another. *sigh

do I come across bitter?

- Response by usernameheidi, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Other Profession

IMO, no. I have to see the person and interact with them.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

It can create a sense of intimacy and you can certainly feel like you are. :O)

- Response by destinyseeker, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Teaching

without meeting them no. but can i become attracted to them yes.

I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION NOT TO LONG AGO ON THIS VERY SAME WEBSITE. I CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE THAT YOU MUST MEET THEM IN PERSON FIRST AND SPEND TIME WITH THEM SO YOU CAN GET TO KNOW THEM.I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE AND FELT LIKE A FOOL...SO PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE BE CAUTIOUS!

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

caveat emptor

Like I've said before in a previous post, yes you can fall in love with the image of the person that you've been chatting with on the internet, they are only showing you one side of them. But have you talked to them on the telephone at all and gotten to know them that way? I would say, you can't really know how they are until you've spent time with them in real life and gotten to know their habits and see how they react to things in person.

Yes absolutely

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

To a point. Because you don't really know that person. ALL you really know is what they have told you . You can't see or know a personality on the web.

Falling in love is easy. Its actually a state of mind mosty of the time and a decision to make. But true love is different. You'll only experience this when you truly have deep connection with someone you knew very well. Falling in love with someone you barely know is just falling in love with your idea or the character you perhaps created or imagined but the actual person you're into is not (realistically) the person you created in your mind.. ;)

- Response by winluvnsparkle, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

You are only in love with the person in question IF, after meeting him / her, you like him / her just as much in person as you liked him / her online.

Otherwise, you are chasing a shadow. This is not harmless--I got horribly burned by chasing a shadow--of the exact type that you mention.

Maybe.http://www.global -cell-phones.com

- Response by chinaphone, A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Guangdong, Who Cares?

i think we fall in love with the IDEA/NOTION of who they are. TRULY falling in love requires real situations, real time, and real chemistry, and real face-to-face....

not just colored fonts and a lil dude rolling around icon.

- Response by sassyqt, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Fall in love, before you meet the person, NO. What you have done is fall in love with a concept or character you have created in you mind, not the real person. It is like a dream when you dream of everything you want and get what you want.

- Response by dambreaker, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Retired

I'm here to tell you: YES. But be careful. The whole luring women to fall in love thing is a scam for some men. One of my (ex) sister-in-laws played around online, fell for a man from the Middle East.

Divorced her husband, converted to his religion, destroyed her young son's life doing all this---and the stupid woman got all her money stolen from her and was then DUMPED.

You want to be careful with "love" and "online"

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

Yes you can fall in love with someone you never met because when you are online, you tend to portray a personality that is open and accepting of the person on the other end of the screen...it's easy to fall in love with someone because you think they are the person you 'want' them to be and not the person they actually are...it's one of the reasons why I would much rather meet face to face than to continue to believe in the person they are online because then I can see how they are in 'real' situations and with other people...:D

No. To truly love someone or be in love with someone, you have to know someone. What you feel when you're on the internet is a kinship with someone you feel you are compatible with or have something in common with. Remember, however, that what you're hearing is all that person wants you to hear or know and it may not be the truth. If you honestly think you love someone you've never met, then that's a really strong indication to me that that person is either very lonely, has self-esteem and mental issues or they're a potential stalker, because no one in their right mind falls in love with words on a computer screen.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

Yes I believe so. On the internet you connect emotionally and intellectually and you see if you have similar beliefs and values and ideas. I have heard of alot of couples that met on the internet that are very happy. Guess we should check with them fifteen years later. Heee.

..sure..if ur that desperate..

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Other Profession

What you "fall in love with" in that case is not some actual person at all; rather, you fall in love with whatever it is you've projected onto that person. You fall in love with a construction of your own making.

This can lead to a couple of very undesirable scenarios, should you ever actually meet. First, he will turn out to not be what you imagined him to be. That's a given. He may be perfectly fine in his own right, but because you were so mad about the projection, you wind up being disappointed in the real man. The other possibility is that you try to avoid that disappointment by continuing to project your desired construction of him onto the real man, and then become "confused" when it appears he's "changed" after you start to notice over time that he's not your projection.

- Response by pandorasfault, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching

My lady My son who I love dearly met this girl on the internet and it had been a freakin nightmare that wont quit, he was in the US ARMY and he met her online and he said that I would love to meet you and this was on a friday and Monday Morning he gets knock on his barracks door and it was the freaklin girl with all her luggage?? He tried to hide her in a all male barracks and got caught and damn near got courtmartialed for it. So they()ARMY) made her leave the post and she found out that if he married her they couldnt do this to her and for some reason she had him marry her in less than one week after they met, my wife and I was furatiated ,he didnt know a thing about her or her phycoses, We found out by her mother who was also against this , she was Mexican, a fat lazy women not because of her race but by her actions, we found out that my son was the fourth man that she had been engaged to that year and it was only april?? We told my son all of this and he married her and she got him kicked out of the ARMY with a Misconduct discharge and he lost over $100,000 thousand dollars in benefits over this tramp!! THey now have four children that she has physically abused and my son also has been abused by her and CPS is now involved and right now he has filed for a divorce, finally. But beware of who you get on the internet or it could be you telling this story someday!

- Response by ptawillis, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental