Time apart in a marriage/relationship - good or bad?
Dating / 7:23 PM - Thursday August 06, 2009

My coworkers and I were talking about relationships and one commented that *all* couples need time apart in order for the relationship/marriage to be healthy. Another lady disagreed (she says she & her husband have never spent a night apart and couldn't be happier). I am not sure how to respond - my BF and I are apart much more than we're together because of logistics (we spent 10 out of every 14 nights apart). I asked him (my BF) what he thought and he agreed with my first friend - that all couples *need* to have time away from each other (and by this, I think we're talking about more than just working at separate businesses through the day).

What's your take? I was a bit taken aback by this - and it's timely because next weekend I will not be around as I'm going out of town for a few days...does it matter how long the relationship has existed, or whether or not you live together? Is the "time apart = good thing" mantra true even in a dating relationship?

Oh - and for parameters, we're not talking about "taking a break" or any other euphemisms for breaking up - we're talking about, say a weekend or a short trip (or, I guess in some cases, even a night out with the guys/girls).

- Asked by Nora1968, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Managerial

I think time apart is a good thing for couples, married or not just to keep it fresh and exciting. We all need to renew and get away for instance with the girls or guys. I get together with my gal pals every 3-4 months for dinner.

I think that it is important for both people involved in a relationship in today's world to have, using a well worn cliche, a 'life'....an individual one AND one shared with their partner.

It's important to have individual interests as well as common ones. It makes the relationship richer. A shopping, museum or sightseeing trip now and then with girlfriends...a yearly fishing trip with 'the guys'. Things like this can't hurt a relationship...but they can make a more well rounded individual and a much more interesting and appreciated partner.

Just my take on it.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Retired

Its good. It doesn't 'hurt' if you can be around each other 24/7/365... But to try and 'force' that would be unhealthy and damaging to a relationship.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Teaching

Yes especially if you lost yourself in the relationship it is a much needed break to get in touch with you again and then you can trully figure if that realtionship is worth still having

- Response by sexucure, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Philadelphia

Are we talking a "break" or an evening apart due to seperate interests?

a break = bad

eve apart = can be great

- Response by lom2009, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55