What happens if a parent wants to sign there rights over to there child
Family & Parenting / 2:47 PM - Wednesday August 05, 2009

I have a brother that wants to sign his rights over to his children. I am just trying to figure out what happens next. I mean do he still have to pay child support are is all of that drop once he signs his rights over.

- Asked by A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, St.Louis, Who Cares?

Every state is different. In Texas just because you sign over your parental rights does not mean that you are no longer required to pay child support. Being involved in a child's life is different then being responsible for a child's life. If it was this easy to not pay child support more people would do it.

If his parental rights are terminated, then he ceases to have any legal rights or responsibilities concerning the child . . . including not having the responsibility to provide support for him.

- Response by carinabay, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

If the kids are minors (under age 18), it doesn't matter if he signs his rights away or not. He is still liable for child support until they turn 18.

He needs to ask a lawyer. Every state is diffrent. He will lose his kids forever, and I find that sad. Imagine how the kids will feel. Their dad didn't want them.

It will be as if he never existed if the judge allows the person to sign over their rights.

BTW, any man who signs his rights away so he won't have to support his kids deserves to burn in hell.

He is signing over his RIGHTS - not his responsibilities.

Just because the dad doesn't want to interact with his child, doesn't mean the child stops needing adequate food & shelter.

I don't believe he can sign his rights over to his children if they are minors...Maybe to their mother, but no the children...It depends on the state about the child support, but I think he will still have to pay!!!!!!!!!

He is signing his rights, NOT responsibilities. He can't do that legally. Someone else usually by adoption can accept his responsibilities but he can't sign them away.
What it means is he as no right to see them, any say on their life or education.
If the other person want's to do anything, move away, adopt out the kids he has no legal standing.

Move away, adopt out the kids he has no legal standing.

- Response by chinaphone, A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Guangdong, Who Cares?

I am currently in this boat myself. I swore never to do it but my current support keeps going up. Recently when I was on unemployment I wrote child enforcement about getting a Temp. reduction review, but never got a reply. I wrote 3 times. I got a job, and my fiance has a job now as well, but neither her nor I earn enough, we are about to lose our apartment and can barly make our bills. We have our baby to think of here. So I am thinking of signing over my rights. My exwife doesn't want me, nor does she need me in her life, and the kids want to be adopted by my exbestfriend who she cheated with. I lost everything, and I can't see my babies now as is, so why not right? I am to understand that I can sign over all my rights to the children, but I would still have to pay. But if my exbestfriend adoptes them, I am no longer responsable. So I asked my exwife to talk, I have yet to get a reply. She wanted this not so long ago, so you would think she would jump at this, but here I am waiting. Oh, and as for the guy who said any father who signs over his right should burn in hell, you haven't a clue what it's like. She cheats, she gets the kids, she lies in court ( and courts mostly believe the women ), then she teases you with reconnection to your kids but then takes it back. Then you notice it's been 7 years or so since you saw your babies last, your kids tell you they don't waaant you around because of things mommy has said, all the while taking your money. You can't fight her back cause you have no money for a lawyer, blah blah blah. Right now, my current family wants, needs and loves me. My past family has rejected, hated, and no longer cares. Tough times call for tough choices. So if she still wants it, I will sign, but only if my exbestfriend aggrees to adopte them, this is what they all want any way, so why wouldn't they? Anyways, some times we all must make the hard choices. I love my babies more than anything, but I love my fiance and baby girl as well, and they need all I can give right now. May God bless everyone, and guide those lost to the path of forgiveness.

- Response by mrj73, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

As I read over the other responses, it occurred to me that you may not have meant termination of parental rights, but merely consenting to an alternative custody or guardianship arrangment for the child. In that case, then, he would legally remain the child's father and retain his legal rights and his responsibility to pay child support would continue, as well.