What do you say when someone asks you if they are fat?
Friendship / 9:36 AM - Monday August 03, 2009

over the weekend i went to tn with my boyfriend, his cousin, and his cousin's gf. we all hang out fairly often, and i would say that me and his gf are just friends. she's kind of big (she told us the other day she weighed about 200 lbs, but apparently to my bf and cousin, she weighs 250. so idk if she's lying or not). anyways, me and her were outside smoking, and we starting talking about dieting and weight, and she asked me indirectly if i thot she was big. i managed to dogde the question, cause i was unsure of what to say. i don't think she's as big as some people, but then, she's not tiny either. so, what's the right thing to say if someone asks you that?

- Asked by jess_412, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Medical / Dental

Try this....
Roll your eyes and say "that's a silly question.....why would you even ask that?"......
Works every time....

- Response by nicolegillenwater, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

If she is big she sis big. Be honest with her. It's that simple.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Consulting

When someone asks you a question you dont feel comfortable answering, your response should be, "Why do you ask?"

Just tell 'You are healthy and big, a little exercise will make you more shapely.'

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

If you dodge the question, she'll assume you thought she was fat. An overweight person KNOWS they're fat. No matter what you say, they won't believe it otherwise. Don't stress about it.

- Response by italiangypsy, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Other Profession

I hate when people ask me that. It's like can't you see yourself in the mirror to see if you're fat or not? A question like that puts me on the spot, especially if the person is big. Even when the person is thin, it's annoying.

- Response by trufflet, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

That's a difficult question to answer. It depends on how much you know the person, weight is a touchy issue, particularly for women, so if you don't know the person that well, and are not sure how she'd react with honesty, then just go for the safe answer, like tell her that she seems fine to you, or something like that. But if you've become close enough to let her know the truth of her size, then you'd be doing her a big favor by telling her your honest opinion.

- Response by simplyasking, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

If she is 250 Lbs she knows she is fat. If she was talking dieting and excercising then you should have been honest and told her she could lose it if she ate healthier and excercised. I don't think it is helping someone to lie and say you are big boned or you look allright when they should be supported in losing the fat. Rosey

So whats wrong with being honest? Hell yes shes fat unless shes over 6'2" and built like a runningback, and shes well aware of it. I would have answered her by saying "yes, why do you ask? does it bother you?" If she is concerned, all you can do is be supportive.....