My cat died today. How soon should I get another cat?
Pets / 9:49 PM - Wednesday July 22, 2009

My dearest cat, an angel of love and peace, passed away today. She was so sweet and gentle but she was old and had to go. Some offered me a couple of strays today. Their owner died and someone has been feeding them but is about to take them to a shelter. One of them, they say, looks exactly like my sweet angel. I said I would pick them up tomorrow but later thought that I may need some time to get over the pain. What do you think?

Update: July 23, 2009.
Thank you all for your support. Wish I could have more stars to give everyone.

- Asked by sweetrevenge, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Miami, Who Cares?

I think both you and the new cat need someone. It's a perfect match. Sorry for your loss.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

My heart goes out to you, I am so very sorry for your loss. My own little Sooty, the cat in the basket, has been very ill and it has been touch and go for the last few days. He is 14 and I love him dearly. And less than a month ago we had to put my mother's beloved cat to sleep, he had cancer.
My advice is to wait a bit and allow yourself time to grieve your angel's loss, and when you are ready to get another cat or kitten it will be a natural process and you will know that the time is right. And also, please consider getting two instead of one, because cats crave the companionship of their own species and will be much happier. Two are no more trouble than one. Truly.
I have three cats, and I don't know what I would have done without these two at home. It's a consolation when you have to say goodbye to a dear one.
Whatever your decision, please know that your angel lived a happy, loving life and her love lives on in your heart.

- Response by purrzn, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

As soon as you feel comfortable with getting another cat. The new cat will not REPLACE the old cat, but it will offer much needed companionship. And hang a picture of your first cat up so you won't feel guilty. It's ok. Losing a pet is heartbreaking, but it's ok to get another one.

- Response by trueseeker82, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

So sorry about your loss. Been there, but sweetie, this isn't about you. It's about two cats without a home that are used to having one. You are obviously qualified. What are you waiting for? Nothing will replace your love for the lost cat. If, however, you feel you don't have the energy to take on the responsibility of new pets, then by all means, don't. That's the part that is about YOU.

- Response by belledonna, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, San Diego, Self-Employed

RIGHT away, as there are MANY kitties that need

good homes...

- Response by kevsmoml, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

First of all,may I offer you my condolences on your loss.You said that she was old,so I imagine that she was with a long time.It is like losing a family member so it can take a short time for some people when that happens,it may take a long time.It just depends on the person/people involved. My family had to wait 7 months to get a new cat after an illness had taken her.I think that you should try to decide if you are ready to have another cat or if you need to take some more time to mourn your loss.whatever you decide to do I'm sure that there is a cat that will make you love it as much as you loved your previous cat.I hoped that I have given some help.

- Response by catlover2913, Male, 46-55, Columbus, Retail

As soon as you want. If a companion is what you need right now, go get one. There is no right or normal answer for this, it is what you want. Don't feel quilty if asap is your answer.

- Response by tobyfan, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?