Back to Home

Active Questions

Can watermelon get you sick? My parents ate some store brought Watermelon and got sick
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:13 PM - Monday July 20, 2009

Can watermelon get you sick? My parents ate some store brought Watermelon and got sick

not to long after eating it.

It wasn't sitting out and was cut the same day and than put into plastic zip lock bags in the refrigerator.

I don't know what want wrong but it didn't tasted weird but they didn't think nothing of it.

I hope there aren't more in that store.

Update: July 20, 2009.
I dont know it even smelled funky. No matter what though I did call the Store. Hope you dont think that was a bad move. We believe it was bad before it was cut. It dont always mean it was the knife.

- Asked by twilightzone85, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milwaukee, Food Service

Read more about the Rating System


Did they wash the OUTSIDE of the watermelon? When you slice through it with a knife, if there is bacteria on the rind, you carry it through to the melon. Next time, tell them to make sure they wash the outside first.

I hope they're feeling better soon.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Technical

Rating Received:


Sound like cross contamination. Was the watermelon cut on a board or with a knife that was used to prepare raw meats? If those surfaces weren't properly sanitized, it could taint the watermelon. Hope everyone is ok now.

- Response by mamom04, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Phoenix

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

Well hon, not normally---but just about all commercially grown food is sprayed with both herbisides AND pesticides while growing. If any of that poison was somehow transferred into the inside of the fruit, that could be bad.

If they don't feel better soon, it might be a good idea to take a trip to an ER and report it, as well as bring some of the melon to be tested for possible problems. Germs from things like salmonella can make you mildly ill or violently ill---all depends on what strain could have been in the water? Mild salmonella passes usually without major problems in 24-48 hours.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Rating Received:


The only way watermelon could make you sick is if the people preparing it cut it with knives that were contaminated from other food.

- Response by istillhatescreennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

Rating Received:


anything can make you sick
watemellon
you have water sugar
bacteria and mold will love that environment

you dont know how olsd or the source either


- Response by vank356, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Technical

Rating Received:


If there is bacteria on the outside of the watermelon and they cut into it the bacteria could have spread. Or it could be something else they've eaten...or even a virus. Hard to tell.

Hope they feel better soon!

- Response by kaffroake, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Rating Received:


Hi TZ... :)

Did your mom or dad cut the watermelon on an area where chicken might have been cut? A lot of cross contamination takes place that way....and fruits....even those that have skin on them that is not going to be eaten, should be washed really well so that any bacteria on the skin does not contaminate the inside...

I hope that your mom and dad are feeling better.

- Response by zibet58, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

Rating Received:


if the fertilizer used was human waste, it can make someone very, very sick, although it will look very good, taste great and have NO foul smell to it.

See, whatever fertilizer is used, it gets into the meat and juice of the fruit and some people can be sensitive to it. Although what I mentioned above can make one very sick to the point of dying. That happened to a friend of mine who was serving in Korea and ate a home grown watermelon. And they don't exactly have the same sanitary water standards as we do, especially when watering their gardens.

- Response by msadvise, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Transportation

Rating Received:


When you buy fresh fruits and vegetables, it's very well advised to wash and dry them first before you cut them. It's the safest way to take off the pesticides sprayed on them.
If you did this precautions and still got sick...then the only way that I could think of that make them sick is if they eat it with empty stomach.

- Response by spiritintheair, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Rating Received: