I don't think I ever want to settle down - is there something wrong with me?
Dating / 11:35 PM - Sunday July 19, 2009

I am a 27 year old woman currently in a 6+ year relationship. The thought of being tied down to one person for the rest of my life - ONE PERSON - makes me very uneasy. I don't know if I ever want children either. People say "you say that now" but... at 16 I thought I'd be married with a few kids by 25, now at 27, those things are so far from my mind it isn't even funny! Others think me very selfish, but I don't feel bad about my feelings and feel guilty for that! Am I the only person like this???

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas

no. im like this too. I know for sure i wont have kids. Thats not my main purpose in life. Society makes it a norm to "get married and have kids" and its cool for those that do do that but not everyone is going to. I see myself finishing school and concentrating on my career. Getting married or having kids is nowhere near my thoughts. I knoww some might say the same thing that I might change my mind sense im so young.
I dont think there is aything wrong with your choice.

- Response by silenceiskey77, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

I'm also 27 but i'm single with a 2 year old. Funny thing is I was like you in school I wanted to get married and have kids early. Now I have decided that I'm happy with my one child, He was a suprise and honestly I dont think I would have ever actually tried for a baby. I love my son very very much but I miss the days when I could just up and go out when I wanted and didnt have to deal with a sitter or someone running behind me crying because he wanted the blue juice not the green.
Things change and you never know what life is going to bring you but you should just live the life you want to now so you don't have any regets later. If you do end up married with children at 35 or 40 then at least you can say you lived the single life and enjoyed it. Don't feel guilty for not getting knocked up at 16 and married at 18 and actually having time to think things thru.
Who cares what others think, just remind them that you still have the option of going out and sleeping in the next day as often as you like.

- Response by jwa3, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Student