Am I too old to have a baby at 45?
Family & Parenting / 9:08 PM - Thursday July 16, 2009

Am I too old to have a baby at 45?

My boyfriend wants us to have a baby. I am 45 and so is he. Is it too late for me?

Update: July 18, 2009.
Thank you! We are talking about marriage and the next step. My friend just told me today about a woman who had her first and only child at 51! Crazy! I'm not sure if it will happen, but if it does, it's meant to be. Thanks again.

What do you want? If you want to have a baby, and you're in good health, and your dr gives you the "ok"...I say go for it! :)

I think the first thing to consider, before whether or not you should have a child, is: WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET MARRIED?

If that does take place, THEN you can ask yourselves this question. There are too many children born already without TWO PARENTS. I would be very sure that the boyfriend is as committed to raising this child, as you are before moving forward.

Then, I would tell you that NO, you are not too old to have a baby. If you can offer love and stability, you are not too physically old to have a baby.

Ask your doctor, he will tell you. I have a friend who had twins at 47, a single parent. She did it, hopefully so can you. Good Luck!

- Response by 3wiltedroses, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

I think you should discuss with your HUSBAND and then your doctor.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I would go see your doctor first. If you are in good health then go for it!!! Sara Jessica Parker was 40 I think when she had her baby.

- Response by honey1306, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Denver, Who Cares?

Ask your doctor about your physical condition.
And are you in good mental condition to be able to raise a baby with the world in such turmol?

Bilogically, I would say, probably not.
But expect other parents to refer to you as his/her 'grandma'.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

Yes, its probably too late. Female fertility begins to decline at about age 26 and declines rapidly after age 30. Most 40 something women are past that. Women who want children should be getting married and pregnant before age 20 -- when women did so for many thousand generations.

See your doctor and ask him or her. There are fertility tests and he/she can check up on your overall health and see if this is something he/she would recommend. Don't let other people's negative opinions get you down. A friend of mine had a perfectly healthy baby at 39 and then another one at 43. But some women have a harder time conceiving at your age.

Ask yourself these questions: Do YOU think you are too old to have a child? Are you in good shape? Can you afford a child? Do you WANT a child or are you mainly doing this for your boyfriend? Do you have a stable relationship?

Each woman's body is different. Check with your gynecologist. My grandmother had my Uncle Frank when she was 50, so hey, it can happen!

- Response by msheartbeat, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Self-Employed

My daughter in law delivered her second family, twins at age 45. Although the prengancy was monitored closely and she did have to give self injections to elevate egg ripening. It is possilbe. She is married. Her first two children are now adults. The twins are now 5 and very energetic to keep up with. I admire her to take on the challenge. Also, she had the advantage to quit her full time career and take care of only the children. She does consulting work on the side to keep her finger in the pie. She also does some charity work.
Every situation is personal. They can financially afford it, they are married (consistent family unit), she is in good health and athletic.

- Response by sisterwoman, A Career Woman, Female, 66 or older, Medical / Dental

That is something you really need to put a lot of thought in to.Pregnancy carries a lot of risks after the age of 40.Although,if you are willing to take the chance,make an appointment with your doctor and see what they have to say,they will probably keep a very good eye on you.

- Response by Female, 36-45, Home Maker

i'm having the same issue, except i'm a little younger than you....i'm 37 , unmarried, already pregnant, and upset about commitment issues for a long time....then the baby happens, we're still fighting over the same things, i'm down about the pregnancy, he was upset at first , but he's come around now, but i still wonder if he'll ever marry me......anyways he's 45 ...and should have his mind made up by now! we had a discussion, i'm getting my tubes tied, because i'll be 57 (which isn't too old, when the baby is 20!) ,,,,,then you have to think about if you'll have the energy to deal with a child all of those years.....on the other hand, i've been looking up a lot of sites, and there are plenty of women having babies your age! check out expecting .com.....there's a whole section on after age 35 pregnancy's, it shows you, that your not alone with this....

- Response by Female, 36-45, Columbus

At that age there is a huge health risk to you and the child. If you really want kids, I would adopt. It really isn't worth the risk.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35